Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > 2009 YEAR-END WRAP-UP!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Whadda Year!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whadda Year!!!
    Posted: December 27 2009 at 8:12am

WHAT CAN WE SAY ABOUT a YEAR LIKE the ONE WE ALL JUST (BARELY) SURVIVED?

A YEAR in WHICH the BIGGEST BOX OFFICE HIT WAS a RAZZIE®-WORTHY PIECE of sh*t?

A YEAR in WHICH AUDIENCES FLOCKED to SEE REMAKES, RETREADS, RE-HASHESRIP-OFFS and EVEN (HERE's a NEW ONE!) SEQUELS to REMAKES (!) LIKE JIM JONES' DISCIPLES PLEADING for SECONDS on KOOL-AID? 

A YEAR in WHICH HOLLYWOOD MADE ITS BIGGEST BUX EVER -- WHILE PRODUCING ALMOST NOTHING of ACTUAL MERIT? 

A YEAR in WHICH "THE INDUSTRY" and ITS OVERALL OUTPUT SEEMED to BE ALL BUT BEGGING for RAZZIES® ALL AROUND... 

COME to THINK of IT...FOR US, MAYBE IT WASN'T SUCH a BAD YEAR AFTER ALL!

TWO INDUSTRY DUDES DISCUSSING G.I. JOE

DUDE #1: "Sure it was mindless, indefensible crap..."

DUDE #2: "But it grossed over $300 million worldwide!" 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2009 at 3:17pm
I saw a report from John Berman on ABC that this was the most profitable year for movies ever, and that somehow that meant that this was a good movie year... No... Just... Just no... what a WEAK year... Can we just Razz 2009?
-Iron helps us play-
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2009 at 11:25am

Man, that WAS some year.  Throughout the course of the year, I went on a number of websites and recommended this site to people who absolutely hated these kinds of movies and most of my 'promos', if you will, were placed on reviews for movies that deserve this kind of honor, not to mention numerous spots on Moviefone and E! Online where these kinds of movies are treated with respect (and undeserving credibility).  Thanks to their recent polls and several fan-voted award shows, their choice for Best Movie of the Year has already clinched my choice for Worst Movie of the Year (and has a shot at Worst Movie of the Decade).

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2009 at 1:08pm
Yeah, it was a sad year for movie making. Yeah, money was made ... without much creative effort. The worst movie of the year on a critical level is the biggest money maker of the year. The amount of remakes, sequels, and now sequels to remakes was so high we can barely narrow it down to five choice. But nothing's going to change in 2010, because as far as H-Wood is concerned, nothing is broken, so why fix it. And movie goers seem willing to pay to see anything, so they are just going to add fuel to the fire. In the end, all we have are the Razzie Awards, our way of telling H-Wood, "your product sucks!".
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2009 at 2:35pm

I would love to see What Goes Up and Alvin Makes Me Squeak Well get their due, but when it all comes down to it, the worst 2009 movie that was so bad it made me laugh was:

2012 all the way!  You don't find many movies where so much money was poured into so much eye candy, and it still left you laughing at how bad it all was!

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 1:14am

Around where I live, at least, people have been holding Shredding Parties, where they put documents and things that remind them of 2009 thru a shredder.

I hope that out in LA, they put the Hollywood sign through one!

-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 3:59am

Yeah, I really wish they would shred all the negatives (and film prints) to most of 2009's movies. That's what H-Wood should do! Not make remakes and reboots of bad movies, but destroy them altogether...and bury the remains under cement...in the middle of nowhere!! 

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
tomsmo35 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 10:15am
I wish they would stop ripping off Movies that were good then making them bad.
JoeBoyden View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBoyden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 11:52am

The sad thing is that 2010 doesn't look too promising either in terms of originality. Consider this: Death at a Funeral (May 16) is a remake of a British comedy that was released in 2007 (!!!!!!!!!). And one of the actors is reprising the same role (!!!!!!!).  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Having seen the 2007 version myself (and found it quite amusing) I, too, am baffled at the notion of re-making it so soon after the original. Besdies the berry idea of such a rapid remake, DEATH AT A FUNERAL 2010 (IMDb LINK) has the additional RAZZIE® red flag of being directed by Neil LaBute (IMDb LINK) whose previous remake was the multiply-RAZZIE®-nominated WICKER MAN (IMDb LINK) featuring the hilarious Nicolas-Cage-in-a-Bear-Suit scene... 

My Picks... so far:
Worst Picture BUCKY LARSON
Worst Actor Shia LaBeouf
Worst Actress Martin Lawrence
Worst Sup Actor John Turturro
Worst Sup Actress Vanessa Hudgens
Worst Director Michael Bay
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 5:12pm

I also saw the 2007 movie you're talking about, and it's fine the way it is! What the hell, H-Wood? Now you're not even going to bother waiting a few decades to do remakes -- you're going to do them within 3 years of the original?! And it's not like this is an Asian horror movie in which you have to recast everyone's role as English-speaking Americans. No, the original was a British movie! So what "great" improvements is H-Wood going to add to this remake? More toilet humor?

It's a sad day when H-Wood feels it has to do American remakes of movies that are already in English -- AND aren't even a decade old!

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Gregory View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gregory Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2010 at 3:15am

I saw the 2007 British movie, too. And from what I've seen in the trailer for the remake, the "new" movie looks like a scene-by-scene copy of the original!

MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2010 at 7:15am

Looks like there's some sort of anarchy going on here.  Here are some films that RT thinks will be highly anticipated:

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief
Shutter Island
Alice in Wonderland
Clash of the Titans
Kick-Ass
A Nightmare on Elm Street
Iron Man 2
Robin Hood
Shrek Forever After
Sex and the City 2
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
The A-Team
The Karate Kid
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
The Last Airbender
Inception
Salt
Toy Story 3
Little Fockers
The Expendables
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1
Rapunzel
Tron Legacy
The Green Hornet

Does 2010's Worst Picture stand among these titles or does it lie among the haze of lesser-known upcoming releases?  Most of us think it's the former, but that doesn't mean it's not the latter.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2010 at 7:53am
That Percy Jackson movie looks kinda stupid and poorly timed, with Clash of the Titans coming out.
Next 3 could be OK, but 2 are remakes.
Kick-Ass? Never heard of it.
No need for NoES.
Iron Man 2? Meh, probably alright.
Robin Hood... I guess the idea is to mix Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and Gladiator? Ok, I spose...
Then a whoooooole lotta passes until Harry Potter.
Pass, pass, and how the HELL do you do Green Hornet without Bruce Lee? I thought the show was supposed to be terrible aside from him anyway... What is wrong with Hollywood...
-Iron helps us play-
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2010 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Head RAZZberry

Besdies the berry idea of such a rapid remake, DEATH AT A FUNERAL 2010 (IMDb LINK) has the additional RAZZIE® red flag of being directed by Neil LaBute (IMDb LINK) whose previous remake was the multiply-RAZZIE®-nominated WICKER MAN (IMDb LINK) featuring the hilarious Nicolas-Cage-in-a-Bear-Suit scene... 

People make mistakes. It's human nature so I would assume aBute's misstep was that WICKER MAN movie. Other than that, the movie he made after that, LAKEVIEW TERRACE, shows that he can make a good movie.

< http-equiv="Content-" content="text/; charset=utf-8">< name="ProgId" content="Word.">< name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11">< name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11">

Originally posted by Gregory

I saw the 2007 British movie, too. And from what I've seen in the trailer for the remake, the "new" movie looks like a scene-by-scene copy of the original!

Well, it has a black cast.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2010 at 1:43pm
Oh goodie, so "Death At A Funeral Version 0.5" will take a British comedy and replace everything with the same sterotypical, African-American themed comedy that you can see for free anytime you watch old reruns of UPN sitcoms on the BET Network, or whenever you watch any of the crap that Tyler Perry makes. Yeah, that's such an improvement. Hey, I know, while we're at it, how about if H-Wood remakes "Four Weddings and A Funeral" with an all Hispanic cast! I mean, it's been 14 or 15 years since that movie was released in theaters, and so it's ripe for an uncalled for American-ized remake!
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2010 at 4:12pm

Hey, I thought in this thread we'd be discussing what the worst movie for 2009 would be!

Anyways, that list MiguelAntilsu posted above is the reason why I advocate splitting the prequel/sequel/remake/ripoff category this year.  We have enough to do it for the 2009 movies, and there's practically nothing but prequels, sequels, remakes and ripoffs for 2010!

As for PJ&tO:tLT vs. CotT 2010, I saw trailers for both, and they both sucked.

As for DaaF 2010, I don't care if they reinterpret a British comedy into African American comedy three years after the original.  Just make it funny.  I saw the trailer for this, and I didn't laugh once.  This is gonna suck, too.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>