Forum Home Forum Home > 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX! > REVOLVER
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

What, No MADONNA?!?!?!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What, No MADONNA?!?!?!
    Posted: December 05 2007 at 1:43pm

GUY RITCHIE's PREVIOUS MOVIE WAS SO FORGETTABLE IT TOOK US a MOMENT to REMEMBER WHY WE KNEW HIS NAME. IN 2002, RITCHIE DIRECTED HIS WIFE MADONNA in an ATROCIOUS REMAKE of SWEPT AWAY THAT SWEPT THE 23rd ANNUAL RAZZIES® , "WINNING" MISTER and MISSUS RITCHIE a TOTAL of 5 of the 7 DIS-HONORS for WHICH IT WAS NOMINATED, INCLUDING WORST PICTURE and WORST DIRECTOR.

RITCHIE NOW FOLLOWS UP THAT DEBACLE (A MERE 5 YEARS LATER) WITH a RETURN to HIS CLEVER/CAPER/HEIST ROOTS....a BERRY TIRED, CHEEZY-LOOKING, UN-INSPIRED RETURN to HIS ROOTS, BUT a RETURN NONE-the-LESS.

THIS JUST IN: WHEN WE CHECKED the IMDb PAGE for THIS FILM, WE FOUND OUT THAT IT WAS RELEASED in RUSSIA TWO YEARS AGO... and AS RAZZIE® HISTORY TELLS US, ANY MOVIE THAT's BEEN HELD BACK from RELEASE for TWO WHOLE YEARS HAS GOTTA BE GOOD...

SINCE WE EXPECT LESS THAN 3,417 PEOPLE WORLWIDE to EVEN BOTHER to SEE REVOLVER, FEEL FREE to USE THIS FORUM as an OPPORTUNITY to RAG on MISTER RITCHIE, HIS ULTRA-RICH, ULTRA-TALENT-FREE WIFE, or...WHATEVER!

Liotta: "I haven't played a role this blue since I raped Pia Zadora with a garden hose in LONELY LADY  25 years ago!!" 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2007 at 4:01pm

To be fair, Ritchie has directed two entertaining movies that I know of: Snatch, and it's predecessor Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. I like Ray Liotta, but when did he stop being picky about the roles he takes: Wild Hogs (which he was good in), Dungeon Siege (Which still hasn't been released), Smokin Aces (Which I didn't see) and now this. Sad part is, he was offered Mark Wahlberg's Oscar nominated role in The Departed, but he couldn't take it due to scheduling conflicts. So he probably missed out on getting his first Oscar nom, because he was busy with one of those films. Still, he has nothing on James Caan, who turned down the lead roles in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Superman (1978), and some other notable films. But at least he had already gotten an Oscar nom (for The Godfather). 

Response from Head RAZZberry: You overlooked Liotta's "cameo" as the Celebrity Honey-Hawker in BEE MOVIE. As for James Caan, I find it a tad hard to believe that the title role in SUPERMAN was seriously offered to him -- About the only performer less physically suited to the role than Caan would be...Phyllis Diller! 

jb razz View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote jb razz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 4:22am
Even with the failure of "Swept Away" and this debacle (which was delayed for two years) Guy Richtie has already made another film: Yet another clever/caper/criminal film called RocknRolla, due to be released in 2008. It stars Gerard Butler, Jeremy Piven and Thandie Newton.

Here's an IMDb LINK for more information...

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2007 at 8:08am
Ritchie directing a "Wild Bunch" remake. Why? WHY?!?!? Also, nice "Lonely Lady" joke.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Up-next: The Island Of Dr. Moreau '96
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2007 at 2:14pm

Caan's physique may not have screamed "Superman," but until Christian Bale, who was considered to be film's greatest Batman? Michael Keaton, who didn't exactly have a physique that resembled a Greek statue? I've finally forgiven George Clooney for his Batman. He was good in Good Night, and Good Luck, great in Syriana (Which he won an Oscar for), and just won Best Actor from The National Board of Review for Michael Clayton.

BTW: Weren't the Chicago Film Critics supposed to announce their nominations today? 

Response from Head RAZZberry: According to their Web Site (LINK) the Chicago Film Critics will be announcing their 2007 winners next Friday, December 14. It sounds like, even though their process technically involves "nominations," the results of voting in the preliminary rounds are NOT publicized...

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 5:11am

I was watching "The Soup" last night, and they showed a clip of the premiere of this. Guy Ritchie was explaining the title when Madonna barged in, and starting talking about random sh*t. The money shot was Guy's face: He looked like he was thinking: "What did I do to deserve this?" Poor soul! 

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2007 at 9:52am

I do think the late philosopher Freddie Mercury summed this up very well:

Bomp!  Bomp!  Bomp!  Another one bites the dust. . . .

Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

I was watching "The Soup" last night, and they showed a clip of the premiere of this. Guy Ritchie was explaining the title when Madonna budged in, and starting talking about random sh*t. The money shot was Guy's face. He looked like he was thinking: "What did I do to deserve this?" Poor soul.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2007 at 11:14am

I noticed that a lot of reviews mention Kabbalah. Could Kabbalah be trying to make itself the most ridiculed "religion" since Scientology (which knocked them out of the title back in 2005)?

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2007 at 3:11pm

I'm glad at least Ritchie didn't cast Madonna this time! That woman has the anti-Midas touch: Every movie she touches........you know the rest. Willem Dafoe, one of the world's best character actors from the 80's-on, does a movie with Madonna, gets his first razzie nod and nearly ends his career as a leading man. Only Frank Langella survived Body of Evidence unscathed. Come to think of it, Langella has been the bright spot of so many bad films, I'm glad he's having a good comeback with award winning work on Broadway (he won his second or third acting Tony this year for Frost/Nixon), and film. (he also recently won The Boston society of film critics award for Best Actor for Starting Out In The Evening).  Sean Penn got his first Razzie nod when he starred with Madonna in Shanghai Surprise. Then, after they divorce, he becomes one of the best actors of his generation, etc, etc... 

sr siete View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote sr siete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2007 at 8:10am
Couldn't even finish the movie. And that, for me, is pretty rare. And I loved his first films.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2008 at 12:49pm

Just bought and watched the film today. I can see why a lot of critics disliked it, as it was the most confusing gangster film I've ever seen. However Ray Liotta gave a very good performance as a mobster on the verge of a nervous breakdown. To me, this was his best performance since Narc. The other actors were alright. I hope Ray Liotta plays more gangsters as his other two gangster roles ( Goodfellas and Grand Theft Auto Vice City) were also very good.

Wilder View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Wilder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 29 2008 at 8:55am

Well nothing is likely to give me as much of a  talent free night in watching a film than renting the latest Guy Richtea and Jason ( is there another flop of a  film I can be in) Stratham movie.

I feel like im watching the same crap over and over, and Stratham is as wooden as a park bench.

Does he have some some pictures of Richtea in a compromising position with a Basset hound or something?

I mean why would you EVER put this chump in another film??

The guy is truly woeful as an actor and as one dimensional as they come.

Their "work" (and I use the term liberally here) actually brings a tear to my eye

I am a movie lover after all.....

Post Reply Post Reply