Forum Home Forum Home > 2007 RAZZIE® MOVIE FORUMS w/LYNX! > EVENING
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Whatta Cast! Whatta BORE!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whatta Cast! Whatta BORE!!
    Posted: July 09 2007 at 1:53pm

Hey HeadRazz, what'd you think of Timothy Olyphant as the lead villain in Live Free or Die Hard? When I heard the casting I thought that his Deadwood Co-stars Ian Mcshane, Brad Dourif, or even Gerald McRaney (Who was pretty outstanding last season) would have made better villains, but people are telling me that Olyphant did a pretty good job, what'd you think?

PS: I think that the best film villain of 2007 will be Ralph Fiennes in the new Harry Potter film. Fiennes is always good as a bad guy (Schindler's List, Red Dragon, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire), actually the only movie that I've ever heard that he wasn't good in was The Avengers. ( I didn't read anything about Maid in Manhattan, but I know he went un-Razzed for that one)... 

Response from Head RAZZberry: As I have posted elsewhere on our Forum, I found LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD to be the Berry Best Summer Popcorn Movie I've seen in many a summer. Its weakest element, especially compared to Alan Rickman and Jeremy Irons as the uber-villains in two of the previous DIE HARD films, was Olyphant. It's not so much that he gave a poor performance as that the prior films set such a high standard for McLaine's adversaries that this one being as run-of-the-mill as he was left me  disappointed -- A fault of the screenwriters as much as the actor playing the role. Maggie Q as Olyphant's Karate-kicking sidekick, though, was a fabulous character I almost wish could be brought back if they do a fifth film...

Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2007 at 11:13am
I just watched a Die Hard movie for the first time (The first one), I feel bad for any actor playing a Die Hard villain for having to follow Alan Rickman's incredible performance as Hans Gruber. I can see why he was on both the AFI and Online Film critics society's list of the best villains in film history. That standard would seem to be very hard to live up to (Although I heard that Jeremy Irons did a good job in Part 3)
dipitlow555 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dipitlow555 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2007 at 4:06pm
This is a cast I would LOVE to see in a movie! Just...not this one.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2007 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

I went to a late matinee yesterday of LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD and was, to use an appropriate cliche, blown away. It's fast-paced, fun-as-all-get-out and surprisingly family friendly (all that Internet grousing about it being emasculated by striving for a PG-13 turns out to be specious). Both my 11-year-old son and I enjoyed it immensely -- It is, quite simply, the best popcorn/summer movie of this or any recent year...

Since this Forum is generally reserved for criticism, I will add that the theatre where I saw the film blew it big time. A Regal Cinema (the chain every devoted movie fan loves to hate) they not only still ran that hideous "Inside Look" string of infommercials and outright TV ads before the movie, but when it ended, the screen sat blank, with no explanation from the staff offered, FOR 12 MINUTES! The movie itself was so fabulous I forgot to complain when I first left. But their total lack of consideration for paying customers was so egregious that I actually went back to the theatre and asked to speak to the manager. He claimed he'd heard nothing about it (though I did see several patrons walk out, looking like they intended to complain). Regal and its "once-we've-got-your-money-we-don't-give-a-rat's-ass-about-y ou" attitude is contributing to the demise of movie-going here in America. Any chance I get to rag on them, I will gladly take... 

So that's Two Thumbs WAY Up for LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD...and Two Thumbs Jammed Way Up Their Nose for Regal Cinema Corp... 

Same thing happened to me. The movie was so great that me and my dad forgot to complain. Also, the Regal system is very incompetent. Before 6 P.M., there are no guards on the theaters. Anybody could sneak in! And the ushers didn't even bother to check the age of anybody. The were a bunch of kids obviously under 13 sitting in front of us, and the ushers didn't seem bothered.

I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 1:11pm

Does it mean anything that the Evening bashing thread has turned into the Live Free and Die Hard praising thread and the Regal Theatres bashing thread?

I can't think of a more cruel way of bashing a movie than to talk of everything but the movie in the very message message board devoted to bashing the movie!

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 1:24pm
You're right cvcjr, Actually I was going to make a list of all the Oscar baiters gone wrong to see if there are enough to make it a new category (There are most likely more to come) but so far we have: Evening, Elizabeth: The Golden Age, Love In The Time of Cholera, Lions for Lambs, and September Dawn.  (And to a lesser extant, The Martian Child, Rendition, and The Brave One, although I believe the latter will be like last years Pursuit of Happyness, in that it's reviews weren't impressive, but it's star will most likely be nominated for an Oscar.) Some think Georgia Rule was made with Oscars in mind......man, did that one backfire.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2007 at 7:26pm

I was thinking of movies more in the line of the first four you listed:

Evening
Elizabeth: The Golden Age
Love in the Time of Cholera
Lions for Lambs

I'd be amazed if September Dawn was meant to be anything more than a message film.  Would you define it as a film obviously going after an Oscar?

I actually enjoyed The Brave One, and have seen it twice, but I realize once again I'm in the minority, although it's a good sized minority.  And do The Martian Child, Rendition or The Brave One really compare to the four listed above?

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2007 at 12:14pm
Well there was a lot of early Oscar talk for Cusack in The Martian Child. (I'm sure he's good in it, though), but that didn't pan out as they hoped.
Mrs. Magnatech View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mrs. Magnatech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2007 at 8:15pm

I've seen this, and it is definitely Razzie-worthy!Dead  Pretentious, annoying, boring, poorly written and directed - just a giant turd all around. Claire Danes deserves a Worst Actress nomination, and I wouldn't rule out Hugh Dancy for Worst Supporting Actor...

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2007 at 8:57am
I can't stand Hugh Dancy! Let's take a look at some of his films: "King Arthur", "Basic Instinct 2", "Blood And Chocolate", and this. Worse yet, he's dating Claire Danes! How did he accomplish that?
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Mrs. Magnatech View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mrs. Magnatech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2007 at 10:32am
I actually like Hugh Dancy, but he was awful in this movie. Like, cringe-inducingly bad.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12