Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & INFO on 2013 RAZZIE® TITLES > B.O. MoJo's ANNUAL BOX OFFICE CHART for 2013
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

WHATZ BIN HOT...and WHAT WUZ N-O-T in 2013?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WHATZ BIN HOT...and WHAT WUZ N-O-T in 2013?!?
    Posted: June 18 2013 at 8:43am
LAST UPDATE from Head RAZZberry (For Today, Anyway): Just to make the point that it wasn't only "male actors" who donned ridiculous wigs and make-up to play "Indians," here's an image of blonde, blue-eyed Julie Newmar (who graciously accepted Worst Picture for CATWOMAN at our 25th ceremonies) playing a "Native American vixen" who sets her sights on Gregory Peck in MacKENNA'S GOLD...her wig looks even more like Morticia from THE ADDAMS FAMILY!  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Kenjifujima View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Kenjifujima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 9:33am
One last image and then I think we should say we're done -- but this one's a classic: William Shatner as the "Evil Half-Breed Twin Notah" in White Comanche (which is listed in The Official Razzie Movie Guide). 

I think he looks like little Timmy from the Lassie TV series, dressed up as an Indian for Halloween!

BlackRose View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote BlackRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 6:57pm
Don't tell me I got here too late to add an apropos image of my own! Though she's technically not trying to "pass" as Native American, Judy Garland in the "I'm an Indian, Too" number in ANNIE GET YOUR GUN (from which Garland was fired before filming was finished) has an expression below that strikes me as an appropriate reaction to all those "White Folks Going Native" images above: 

I enjoy a good movie, but if it's the right one, I LOVE a BAD MOVIE!
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 18 2013 at 11:11pm
As far as The Lone Ranger goes, I'll just download the TV episodes from the iTunes store. Yes, they are corny kitsch from the 50s, but they're a lot more fun to watch than that awful Klunker with Kilinton Spillsbury. Compared to Klinton, Armie Hammer has nowhere to go but up. But I'm agreeing with the folks in the previous posts. NOBODY under 30 has a clue as to who or what The Lone Ranger is. Which makes me wonder who greenlighted this at Disney...was it the same genius that did John Carter?????

BTW, what ever happened to Klinton Spilsbury??????
2014 Pic: LEGEND OF HERCULES! Actor: Aaron Echkardt, Director: Renny Harlin, Remake: Transcendence
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 6:47am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: The last references I recall hearing about Klinton Spilsbury were that he was a favored "consort" of Andy Warhol's toward the end of the Campbell's Can Painter's life, and a rumor (some time after that) that Klinton was employed as a fry-cook at an L.A. Denny's. Given that he seems to have all but disappeared from the face of the Earth, I'd say Klinton's Worst New Star "win" for LONE RANGER (LINK) was one of our better choices in that category...  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 6:58am
I love how what was supposed to be a discussion about box office quickly changed into talk about white people playing Native Americans. 

I really hope all the talk about Lone Ranger does not overshadow the fact that The Heat and White House Down are coming out a week before it. Those films should not be missed. 

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 9:07am
RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Oiram: Though WHITE HOUSE DOWN may wind up being "one of ours," early industry word on THE HEAT gives every indication it could be one of summer's bigger comedy hits. I'm not sure why you seem fixated on it as a likely RAZZIE® contender??  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 9:31am
Where did you hear that? I have not seen any early reviews. 

I do have a feeling that The Heat has to really prove itself since This Is the End got such a positive reception.

Plus, The Heat was suposed to be released on the same week as The Evil Dead remake, but it got pushed back. That is usually not a good sign.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Oiram -- I didn't refer to "early reviews" on THE HEAT, I said "industry word-of-mouth," which is a different animal altogether. Just as "industry word-of-mouth" (the non-public "buzz" among those who work in film and TV) clearly expects LONE RANGER to lose piles of money, word on THE HEAT is that Bullock and McCarthy struck up a true friendship while making the film, and that the positive vibes from that (one of the key ingredients in many hit films) comes across loud and clear in the movie itself. I must say, having seen the trailer and several promo clips, that at this point in time, I personally don't expect HEAT to be a RAZZIE® contender. 

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 11:12am
I have said before "The Heat" looks very cool and funny. Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock seem like they have great chemistry as friends on screen. The story might seem a little goofy, but maybe the goofiness of the film might work. I definitely plan on checking it out.
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
MR View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote MR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2013 at 11:54am
I tend to agree with Headrazz and those who are predicting that The Lone Ranger's box office prospects are looking dire.

The budget is HUGE and yet it doesn't seem to be attracting the amount of buzz that usually surrounds a movie of this magnitude. 

Plus Depp has been on a bit of a downward spiral at the box office with The Rum Diary and Dark Shadows. And even The Pirates movies have depended increasingly on the international box office, but The Lone Ranger is a western, and westerns usually don't do well internationally.
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2013 at 9:53pm
I come home from work yesterday and there's a sticker on the front of the apartment building indicating that an "Unnamed Michael Mann Project" is shooting on the street. Yes, there are car chases, shooting, helicopter flybys--but that always happens around the hood...
2014 Pic: LEGEND OF HERCULES! Actor: Aaron Echkardt, Director: Renny Harlin, Remake: Transcendence
Vheid View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vheid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 7:11am
Joe: Could you sneak on the set, take a couple of photos...and post them on the Forums here?

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 7:55am
B.O. UPDATE from Head RAZZberry: In the spirit of this discussion, I plan to start posting links to each week's "Movie Projector" column in the L.A. Times. At year's end, it should be fun to look back and see how often they were right...and how often they were dead wrong. 

Today's L.A. Times "Movie Projector" column says Dizz-Knee/Pixar's MONSTER UNIVERSITY (despite a negative review elsewhere in today's Times: LINK) will cop the top spot, with the Brad Pitt zombie apocalypse movie WORLD WAR Z possibly trailing in the wake of both MONSTERS and MAN OF STEEL's second weekend. 

Here's the LINK to read what Hollywood's "Newspaper of Record" sez will come down by Monday... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 5:38pm
I knew WORLD WAR Z wouldn't reach #1 at the box office, because of its competition. But that doesn't mean it won't be a hit.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2013 at 6:59pm
I think World War Z will succeed in many ways, but really the promotion of the film hasn't been that great. I mean it's not like with Peeples or After Earth where it had little to no commercial spots. In fact, World War Z has great internet promos. But at the same time, I think people who read the book are the only one's who know what "World War Z" is.
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2013 at 9:19pm
An attempt was made, but 30 LAPD officers formed a ring around the shooting area. Cry 

Originally posted by Vheid

Joe: Could you sneak on the set, take a couple of photos...and post them on the Forums here?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>