Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > SAW VI
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Who Knew They Could Count This High??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who Knew They Could Count This High??
    Posted: October 19 2009 at 3:54am

YOU MIGHT THINK the PERPETRATORS of SUCH UTTER GARBAGE AS the SAW SERIES ARE SUCH CRETINS THEY COULDN'T COUNT BEYOND the NUMBER of FINGERS THAT CAN BE GRAPHICALLY SEVERED from a SINGLE HAND -- BUT, SADLY, YOU'D BE WRONG...

JUST WHEN WE THOUGHT HOLLYWOOD's CARNIVAL of COPYING-WHAT's-WORKED-BEFORE COULDN'T GET ANY CRAPPIER, HERE COMES SAW VI.

SINCE WE'LL GLADLY ADMIT WE SKIPPED the FIRST FIVE, WE HAVE NO INTENTION of BOTHERING to ACTUALLY SEE THIS ONE. IF YOU FEEL COMPELLED to SEE IT, YOU HAVE OUR SYMPATHIES.

AND, AS with ALL MOVIES THIS DEVOID of ANY REDEEMING VALUE, WE'RE GIVING OUR VOTING MEMBERS a PASS ON IT AS WELL: FEEL FREE to NOMINATE THIS ONE for AS MANY RAZZIES® AS YOU WISH, SIGHT UNSEEN.  WE EXPECT YOU'LL SLEEP BETTER at NIGHT IF YOU DO...

"OMG -- You mean it isn't just a nightmare...I'm actually 

IN this piece of sh*t?!?!?!"  

ALARMING FOOTNOTE:

We were shocked, in researching this posting, to discover that NONE of the previous SAW films have received even a single RAZZIE® nomination...WE THINK THIS IS the YEAR to RECTIFY THIS INCREDIBLE OVERSIGHT! 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2009 at 6:01am

Am I the only one who DOES like this series?

For your consideration, HeadRazz, you could add two more into your 2010 and 2011 considerations ---- they've got two more in the works, and part seven is supposed to be in 3-D.

Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2009 at 9:06am

I watched (and liked) the first 2 Saw films.  I never watched past that. 

But Saw Seven and Saw Eight?  I wonder if they have a device attached to the developers' heads and set to split them in half -- and they have to make more of these films to receive the turn-off key...

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2009 at 11:32am
Don't worry. There will be at least 2 more.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2009 at 2:57pm
That is precisely why I'm worried...or make that astonished that western civilization survived the first five.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Headbanger14 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Headbanger14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2009 at 3:08pm

Oh dear God, sure Friday the 13th and Hellraiser had like 10 sequels and they all sucked too. What makes them think all these Saw sequels'll be any good?

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2009 at 4:27pm

At least one regular contributer here will go see them.   

Originally posted by Headbanger14

Oh dear God, sure Friday the 13th and Hellraiser had like 10 sequels and they all sucked too. What makes them think all these Saw sequels'll be any good?

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2009 at 12:05pm

Unlike those franchises, the Saw sequels have all opened above and below $30 million each time. Even when I had not seen one single Saw V commercial last year on TV, it still managed to open around $30 million. Considering the cost of each of these movies is around $10 million, they make their budgets back in their first week alone.

Originally posted by Headbanger14

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2009 at 2:49pm

First of all, MWG, I'm completely baffled by two things...

1. How does a movie open "above and below $30 million..." ? It either does one or the other.

2. The Oakland A's were one of the worst teams in baseball this year. They were also at the bottom of the league in attendance. I mention that because figuring an average of $30 per ticket (which is probably about right) at 1.4 million in attendance they made well over $30 million also and they were a piece of crap team that wasn't much fun to watch. However, given the choice between seeing an Oakland A's game, even if they were playing an equally dreadful team like the Kansas City Royals or seeing any Saw movie ever made, I'd go see the A's.

As I've mentioned before, box-office doesn't always correlate well to quality of the film, nor have any of the Saw movies been particularly big overall box-office draws. So the fact that they are having modestly good openings and the fact that they are making money doesn't lend much credence to the value or quality of the movies. A guy got enormously rich back in the 70's sticking rocks in a box with a cute little book. Sometimes people do get rich selling crap. In fact, it happens a lot.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2009 at 11:19am

Well, since there have been 5 movies so far, they all, excluding the first, opened between $27 million and $31 million. Wasn't it obvious what I meant?

As I've mentioned before, box-office doesn't always correlate well to quality of the film, nor have any of the Saw movies been particularly big overall box-office draws. So the fact that they are having modestly good openings and the fact that they are making money doesn't lend much credence to the value or quality of the movies. A guy got enormously rich back in the 70's sticking rocks in a box with a cute little book. Sometimes people do get rich selling crap. In fact, it happens a lot.

I never said the Saw movies were good...

movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2009 at 11:55am
I will disclose that I more or less enjoyed the first three Saw films.
Yeah, they were uneven but their selling point was the devilishly inventive
traps and situations that the screenwriters concocted up with their wicked
imagination, and because of that, I was willing to look over some of the
plot holes and just enjoy them for what they were. As with the last two
installments, the series has really run out of gas and no matter how
clever the traps Jigsaw sets up, they can't compensate for the howlingly
awful dialogue and implausible plot twists they throw at us.

Eric D. Snider says it perfectly: "The latest Saw movies are as rote
and mechanical as one of Jigsaw's traps, though at least Jigsaw's traps are
suspenseful and ingenious. The movies themselves are neither of those
things."
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2009 at 9:13am

Wait, wait, wait, wait. Saw VI has a 44% on RT and Amelia has a 17% on RT?! Am I just seeing things or is Saw VI the highest rated movie since the first?! Your thoughts?

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/saw_VI/

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I have recently begun to suspect there may be deliberate "skewing" going on with RT Ratings numbers. While both RT and MetaCritic concur that AMELIA has some of the year's least favorable reviews (RT LINK / METACRITIC LINK) the reviews for SAW VI at RT appear to be unexpectedly high (LINK) while those for SAW VI at Meta Critic ((currently 27 out of a possible 100 points) are among 2009's lowest -ranked (LINK).

Since MetaCritic prides itself on contacting the critics themselves to rank & rate their own reviews, I can only assume that RT is losing its edge as a reliable source of critical consensus. If this keeps up, MetaCritic may have to replace RT as our "go to source" for how crix are ranking mainstream movies...

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2009 at 9:45am

You need to learn to look at all the numbers, and where they are coming from.

The ranking for Amelia, a movie that  doesn't look particularly good based upon the trailers, is based on 74 recorded reviews. The ranking for Saw is based on only 16. In essense, the numbers for Amelia are probably close to where they will end up when all the reviewers are heard from, whereas the numbers for Saw could move substantially...probably downward.

Quite a few of the early reviews recorded for Saw are also coming from reviewers for the horror movie rags...

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2009 at 11:34am
Sure, but it did manage to get positive reviews from 2 top critics, which the last 3 Saw films couldn't manage to do.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2009 at 12:33pm

I wasn't ever going to go see this movie. In fact, the only reason I saw Saws 4 and 5 in theaters was because of my brother. Now this year, he doesn't want to see Saw 6 because of how bad Saw 5 was. But you know what, I might actually go see this. I'm reading in reviews that they're bringing political themes like health care into this, which I really like, since I loved Sicko.

I don't know, though. I'm going to wait it out to hear the reactions.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2009 at 5:28pm

Well, there is no question in my mind that Saw VI will do wonders for advancing intelligent debate about health care...at least as much as the commericals the Republicans are airing. I especially liked the one where the lady who claimed she had breast cancer came on and told us that if she lived in England, where they have public supported health care, she would have been more likely to die.

That is true. If a woman contracts breast cancer in England she is 8% more likely to die per capita. What the G.O.P neglected to mention is that in the British system which is oriented toward prevention rather than curing illnesses once you have them, women are 16% less likely per capita to get breast cancer in the first place. Gotta love the Republicans. They'd never lie to us...someday, I plan to visit the Iraq WMD museum.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>