Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 31st Annual RAZZIE® Award Nominees & "WINNERS" > JONAH HEX
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Whood She Hafta FOX to Get Into THIS Movie??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whood She Hafta FOX to Get Into THIS Movie??
    Posted: August 25 2011 at 8:05am
I just saw it.

I don't know what happened.It started with such promise.The first 1/2 hour was very entertaining with the dialogue and the stylish action.But all of the sudden the plot became dull.Probably because this has the narrative of a comic book,not a movie.As for the soundtrack,is well suited but is not for everyone.

Usually,I find something redeeming in Fox's performances but not here.However,her role was too small.I know it's been stablished someone can be the lead despite a short screen time,but here I found her to be supporing.Anyway,Malkovich is about on the same level as her,and Brolin is a lot worse.And Michael Fassbender had one of the worst accents in movie history(I thought I'd bring this up since you nomined her accent instead of his).

I give this 4/10.
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

I think most of us ultimately agreed that Horton wasn't all that bad, despite the prerelease discussion it received at this site.
Nobody said it was bad.HeadRAZZ said it was forgettable.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
SuperTeenTopia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SuperTeenTopia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2011 at 8:59pm
I really don't know which was the worst "weird western" flick, this or "Wild Wild West". There's nothing redeeming about this movie. Everyone in it is just line-reading and the events of the plot don't have any flow to them, they just happen for the sake of moving the story along. Warner Bros can't get any of their comic book movies right outside of Batman!
"People say 'It's all about the story’. When you're making tentpole films, bull$hit." -Andy Hendrickson (Disney Animation Studios' Chief Technical Officer)
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2013 at 7:01pm
Time to review Jonah Hex, one of the weirdest movies in recent memory. I'm convinced that executive meddling played a part in its weirdness. It's shorter than most movies and it's PG-13 despite being written by the usually R-rated Neveldine/Taylor team. However, I haven't found any evidence of executive meddling ocurring, so I won't mention it in the body of the review.

Josh Brolin is entertaining as the title character. He does the best with the crappy material he's given and he has a couple of good one-liners (i.e. "Christ, women, how many men do you see in a day?", "Cut mine shaving, what you do to yours?"). Michael Fassbender is really good as Burke, villain Quentin Turnbull's insane Irish sidekick and Michael Shannon has a neat little cameo as the proprieter of a gladiator circus. Cinematography-wise, this is one of the most gorgeous awful movies in recent memory.

There are several weird examples of stunt-casting in the film. Will Arnett has a bit-part as a Union soldier who informs Jonah about the bounty on Turnbull's head. Oddly, he plays the role straight. Why bother hiring a famous comedian for a small role if you're not going to do anything funny with him? I could see if it was a bigger role and he was trying to break into dramatic roles, but his role is so small, I forgot he was in here until I looked at the cast list again. It's like Margaret Cho in One Missed Call. Aidan Quinn has a small role as President Ulysses S. Grant. The casting director must have been drunker than Grant ever was when Quinn was cast. Quinn looks nothing like Grant and he's not well-known enough to entice audiences like Lee Daniels' The Butler did. John Malkovich is bland as Quentin Turnbull. I'd say more, but, from what I hear, he only did this movie (and Transformers 3) because he was one of the people who was bilked by Bernie Madoff and he needed money desperately. Don't want to kick a man when he's down.

The biggest issue with the movie is director Jimmy Hayward. To put it bluntly, he has no talent at directing action. I was bored during the action scenes in this film. They were so boring, that I got more enjoyment and thrills out of the talking scenes. An example of his clumsy directing is when Hex ambushes Turnbull by hiding in red sand. The scene is poorly set-up (i think it might have been a flashback, but I'm not sure) and poorly shot. They should have let Neveldine/Taylor direct. They're good at directing action movies. The Crank movies were good and scenes in Ghost Rider 2 where Ghost Rider actually shows up were fun. Apparently, one of the directors who almost got the job was McG and Hayward's direction is so bad that McG might have actually been a step-up!!! Why did they let a director who's only previous film was a forgettable animated film direct this? You could ask why Brad Bird was chosen to do a live action movie as well but, as shown with The Incredibles, he knows how to do action. Megan Fox is incredibly bad as Lilah. Sure, Fox is an insanely beautiful woman, but her acting is sh*t. Also, her character was incredibly pointless. The only thing of note that she did was get kidnapped towards the end.

Jimmy Hayward's new movie Free Birds comes out today. If your child has been misbehaving or failed a test recently, I'd recommend taking him or her to see it as punishment.

My grade: D-

Next-up: I don't really have anything planned. The next reveiw will probably be After Earth.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2013 at 8:00pm
I read that Will Arnett fought to take the role because he did not want to be type-cast in comedic roles. 

Also, it's a bit of a stretch to claim that people don't know who Ulysses S. Grant is.
Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2013 at 9:47pm
1.) Hadn't heard about that. Still, if he wanted to do a dramatic role, he could have done one with more screen-time. Of course, he could have had more screen-time originally, which gives more credit to my idea that executive meddling played a part with the film's undoing.

2.) No, I meant Aidan Quinn wasn't well-known. Most of the actors playing the presidents in Lee Daniels' The Butler didn't look anything like the presidents they played, but they were well-known enough that the makers could justify their weird casting.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Up-next: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234