Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > THE UNINVITED
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

...Why BOTHER to Knock It??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ...Why BOTHER to Knock It??
    Posted: January 25 2009 at 4:37am

THE FIRST MONTH of 2009 WASN'T EVEN OVER YET, and ALREADY WE HAD MULTIPLE LAME-O HORROR FILMS -- PROMPTING US to PLEAD: "PLEASE, HOLLYWOOD -- MAKE IT STOP!"

LIKE THE BASTARD CHILD RESULTING from an UNHOLY "THREE-WAY" BETWEEN MY STEPMOTHER IS AN ALIEN, a SLASHER FILM and CINDERELLA, THE UNINVITED IS 100% DERIVATIVE of OTHER, BETTER MOVIES. AND IT REPEATEDLY RESORTS to THAT HOARY OLD B-HORROR MOVIE CLICHE' of NERVE-JANGLINGLY OVER-LOUD SOUND EFFECTS and MUSIC STINGS. 

P.S.  ANOTHER GRUDGE WE HAVE AGAINST THIS FILM IS THAT IT SHARES ITS TITLE with ONE of the BEST SPOOKY MOVIES EVER MADE. MAY WE SUGGEST THAT, RATHER THAN BLOW TEN BUX to SEE THIS BLOW-FEST, YOU SEEK OUT a VHS COPY of 1944's FAR SUPERIOR THE UNIVITED, WHICH WE CONSIDER ONE of the THREE MOST GOOSE-BUMP-INDUCING GHOST MOVIES of ALL TIME...

BANKS: "When you've been in as many bad movies in one year as I have, you'll learn to ignore the reviews and just cash your paychecks..."

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2009 at 9:31am

If you think this movie sharing the title of a good one is bad, beware of "Push" (aka "Jumper 2"). The sci-fi rip-off shares its name with an independent movie that currently getting alot of buzz at Sundance.

Oh boy, when good and bad movies share the same title, it's not a good thing.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I am reminded of our 1997 Worst Picture "winner" THE POSTMAN, which shared its title with a 1994 Oscar winning Italian film that was actually quite good.

When two disparate movies share the same title, it's alwaze a source of confusion... 

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2009 at 3:10pm

If they had any sense, they would have called it "The Un-necessary".  Every time I bring this film up in a conversation, people keep getting this film confused with "The Unborn."  They're both horror films, they both share the same prefix, they both involve a dead relation, and they both came out in the same month... 

I'll give you my complete similarity once I see it. 

moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 1:08pm
I had a feeling this would be good, mostly because of the great leads and I'm right so far because the reviews are coming in in RT and so far there are two positive reviews. Grant it, it's only 2 and maybe the negatives will flow in later but whatever. I think this'll be good. I just love the leads.
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 4:53pm
Hahaha... Listen to Miguel make cynical puns at The Uninvited's expense. Such A-holes we are.

Face it, Hollywood needs a good punch in the junk. We've really gotta stop going to movies like this.

And HeadRazz, at least when the Italian Il Postino was out, we were calling it that, rather than the Postman.

Speaking of The Postman, that's the movie that has fueled my Costner vendetta. I came back to my dorm in college and my roommate was watching it. I couldn't really find an excuse to leave, but yea... That is one movie that is TRULY as bad as everyone said it was.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 4:54pm
Also, yea, how many frickin movies IS Banks gonna be in this year? I thought I counted like 8 that she was in in '08.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2009 at 11:58pm
She's a great actress so it doesn't matter.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2009 at 12:42am

Then she needs to make sure her agent gets her "great" scripts, instead of this Asian Horror remake stuff.

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2009 at 8:22am

There's probably a reason all of these above average stars are in this movie. Right now, this film is doing quite well with the critics so I would suggest you to stop bashing this movie because it's "another stupid, pointless Asian remake."

Sometimes, there are good horror remakes and this is one of them.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2009 at 11:46am

Maybe the "reason" is because they all had their rent due, and they needed money fast, so they agreed to the first script that came their way...namely, this.

And unless a H-Wood remake surpasses the original Asian version on every level, we won't stop bashing them.

[/QUOTE] There's probably a reason all of these above average stars are in this movie. Right now, this film is doing quite well with the critics so I would suggest you to stop bashing this movie because it's "another stupid, pointless Asian remake." Sometimes, there are good horror remakes and this is one of them.[/QUOTE]

movieman View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote movieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2009 at 12:13pm
I think Elizabeth Banks is one of the better actresses out there, and if she
sticks with some good material I think she could be an A-list celebrity.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2009 at 11:38pm

Why would you need a remake to be better than the original to appreciate it? Rarely are remakes any better than their originals so you might as well have bashed "The Ring" and "The Grudge" a few years ago. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I think you just inadvertently made our point -- "Rarely are remakes any better than their originals." 

If you can't improve on someone else's already existant film, then fer kripesakes DON'T bother re-making it! 

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 1:20am

Moviewizeguy just explained right there why we don't like remakes, they are almost never better than the originals. I wasn't around this forum when the "Grudge" came out, but I have a feeling it was mentioned here anyway. "The Ring" was the first of the J-Horror remake at the time, so it's hard to bash the trend when it's first coming into play. If you ask us, until your remake will be superior to the original, why bother? Just subtitle the original and save yourself money. 

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 2:15am

"Just subtitle the original and save yourself money."

But reading is so HAAAAAAAAARD. But seriously, the Asian horror remake trend has continued because it's an easy paycheck for these guys. The economy is struggling now, and they need to keep making their millions anyway they can because they have boat payments to make, while we sweat everyday wondering whether we're going to be at work the next day. Hollywood is out of ideas, and they think they need to keep 800 movies in the theaters at any given time, so we're just bombarded with sheer volume. The fact of the matter is, they keep remaking Asian horror movies because Japan and Korea have gotten good at coming up with a little twist to make things scary - and more than likely, they picked it up from old Shamalamadingdong movies - and instead of the studio heads deciding to come up with an original idea, or redistributing someone else's movie, which eats into their profits, they just remake a recently made movie. It's just greed breeding more crap, kiddo, don't eat it.

On a brighter note, I'm pretty happy to be meeting up with my folks tonight to go see The Wrestler, which as I understand it, is a remake of a movie about a video game where the zombies come to life as ghosts and start scaring people to death.

-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 9:54am

But then you make it sound easy to smuggle in foreign DVDs that don't match the regions in the U.S. and the only way to watch some originals is to download it online illegally. But then again, there was "The Departed," a remake of another Japanese movie that won the Oscar for Best Picture. What do you have to say about that? Remakes are made to make American audiences know about these originals. I didn't even know "Disturbia" was a remake of "Rear Window" so if "Disturbia" was never made, I wouldn't have ever known.

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Although it was a credible little pot-boiler, some would argue DISTURBIA was more of a rip-off than a remake of REAR WINDOW (which has alwaze been my personal favorite among Hitchcock's movies). But your admitting you didn't realize the connection between the two films kinda undermines your cred as a savvy movie-goer...

Originally posted by Michaels

Moviewizeguy just explained right there why we don't like remakes, they are almost never better than the originals. I wasn't around this forum when the "Grudge" came out, but I have a feeling it was mentioned here anyway. "The Ring" was the first of the J-Horror remake at the time, so it's hard to bash the trend when it's first coming into play. If you ask us, until your remake will be superior to the original, why bother? Just subtitle the original and save yourself money. 

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2009 at 5:50pm

Actually, "The Departed" was based on a CHINESE movie. And as we have already stated in another discussion, 99 out of 100 times, remakes are never better than the original. "The Departed" falls under that 1%. Oh, and anyone who didn't realize "Disturbia" was a remake of "Rear Window" is because you just plain didn't see "Rear Window".

Originally posted by moviewizguy

But then again, there was "The Departed," a remake of another Japanese movie that won the Oscar for Best Picture. What do you have to say about that? Remakes are made to make American audiences know about these originals. I didn't even know "Disturbia" was a remake of "Rear Window" so if "Disturbia" was never made, I wouldn't have ever known.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>