Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 2009 RELEASES > THE UNINVITED
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

...Why BOTHER to Knock It??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ...Why BOTHER to Knock It??
    Posted: May 06 2009 at 5:21am
Originally posted by Michaels

Originally posted by CriticalFrank

Damned mental images... Why? Why do you hate me?

Oh, it's all part of our evil plan, same as our plan to have critics bash all movies that Miguel and MWG like. 

Your evil genius is astounding. I am in awe. Even going so far as to tell everyone your evil plot... What year did you graduate from Evil Overlord University?

Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 9:05am
Originally posted by saturnwatcher

I think it's safe to say that Schindler's List wouldn't have managed a single Oscar without the bikini scenes.

Yea, I know, really? And it was such an important plot point... Like how else would he pick people to be on the list?
-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 2:38pm

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

Yea, I know, really? And it was such an important plot point... Like how else would he pick people to be on the list?

Yes, they decided to cut out those scenes where he barks out orders of "Okay, all you young and beautiful women who look great naked, you come with me. As for the rest of your ugly, old hags, best of luck to you!". I mean come on, that is the tradition of all good dramas.

CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2009 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by Michaels

Yes, they decided to cut out those scenes where he barks out orders of "Okay, all you young and beautiful women who look great naked, you come with me. As for the rest of your ugly, old hags, best of luck to you!". I mean come on, that is the tradition of all good dramas.

I remember being fairly perturbed to find that they had cut those scenes. I think they were probably the most powerful part of the script.

dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2009 at 11:40pm
Yea. At least they left in the scenes with the car chase, and then all of those cars that were blowing up for no reason along side of it.
-Iron helps us play-
CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2009 at 5:10am
Yeah, it was a smart move by the studio to have Michael Bay work on the movie... It just wouldn't have had any punch without the random explosions to keep the audiences attention.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2009 at 12:36pm

Based on the South Korean chiller A TALE OF TWO SISTERS, the film introduces us to troubled teen Anna as she prepares to be released from a psychiatric institution. Having witnessed the accidental death of her ailing mother, and having been saved from a subsequent suicide attempt, Anna knows that the road to recovery will be long and bumpy. Making the path more treacherous is the presence of Rachel, the mother's nursemaid who has now become Anna's father's soon-to-be wife. Already bound by their resentment of her, Anna and older sister, Alex, come to suspect Rachel of foul play when Anna is visited by ghosts.

Now here's a clever thriller that is dressed up in a run-of-the-mill PG-13 Korean horror remake. It's unusual to ever see a remake to be good, although there are some exceptions, including THE RING and THE GRUDGE. Might as well add this one to the list too because THE UNINVITED is a meticulously crafted film that will have you guessing until the shocking finale. When I mean "shocking," I may be exaggerating because the twist has been done before. However, the funny thing is that people keep on falling for it, or at least I think they do.

What makes THE UNINVITED different from the others? Well, first of all, I loved the technical aspect of the film. I have to admit, the film is slick and shot really well. The scenery is beautiful, having a good production design. The score by Christopher Young is actually a score, and not something generic. Young, who also did the music for DRAG ME TO HELL, is one of the few composers in horror films who do a great job on the musical aspects of a film.

Usually, many horror films pass the former aspect of what I've just listed (maybe not the music). However, they usually fall on the latter, that is, the story and its characters. I haven't seen the original film so I don't have any say on that, but I found the plot of the film fairly interesting and suspenseful in parts. However, the scares do get a little generic for my taste and some parts of the story are slow, but overall, it's efficient, yet ingenious.

Along with the story, what holds up this film are its characters. Emily Browning does a terrific job as the lead. She makes the improbable plot look plausible and realistic. Both she and Arielle Kebbel have a great chemistry with each other. Elizabeth Banks ups the ante of the evil stepmother role. Banks proves to us that she can work with many roles, showing her comedic and sweet side in ZACK AND MIRI. David Strathairn does a decent job, although he really doesn't have much to work with in here.

In general, the movie is better than most horror remakes released these days. This movie actually has an interesting plot with grounded characters and some suspenseful moments. Sure, the scares may be a little generic, relying on the score to let the audience know when something scary will happen, but it's not over-the-top. And although with its short running time, the film does suffer some slow spots, but I'm sure many would appreciate what the film has in store for the audience rather than violence, nudity, and gore. 3/4

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2011 at 10:08am
I just saw this and gave it 4/10.I'll post my review later when it's ready.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2011 at 4:27pm
"THE UNINVITED" USUALLY CRASH ANYWAY.TRUST ME,YOU DON'T WANT TO(**/*****):

Spoilers ahead!

Obviously I was shocked by the twist ending.So what is the problem with this movie?I just said it.The movie depends completely on it's twist.So much that I can't even talk about the rest of the movie because everything is really a build-up to the twist.It's actually a very well-crafted build-up in the sense that you look back and realize all the hints and stuff.But it's not a good build-up in the sense that the rest of the movie is truly boring and not scary.

After the movie is over you'll feel insulted because you'll realize the twist has been used many times before.I guess that's why it's so shocking.It's unpredictable.I mean you wouldn't expect a movie to use it,based on modern standars,right?

Grades: D in the U.S. and 4,0 in Chile.
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2011 at 4:25pm
The movie was like a bad version of "The Sixth Sense", the whole time I was watching it, I noticed "Hey, why is it that the older sister never talks to anyone else?". And of course, we find out why. Oh, and of course, it's a remake of a K-horror movie, because Hollywood has a record of like two good versus one thousand bad when it comes to those remakes.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2011 at 12:57pm
When the mother said "Murderer" pointing at the house,ALEX appeared.I knew there was going to be a twist ending and I thought ALEX was the murderer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456