Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General MOVIE & DVD Discussions > Disagree w/Any Past RAZZIES®??
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Why did Indy Jones 4 "win" a Razzie??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Grounder the Critic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why did Indy Jones 4 "win" a Razzie??
    Posted: November 18 2010 at 6:29pm
...for Worst Sequel, Prequel, Remake, and Ripoff? I mean really. It's not a bad movie. Sure there are some scenes that sucked, but why? Okay, there is a scene about nuking the fridge, but why?  

Pictures move, do they?
BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2010 at 8:12pm
You've answered your own question... 

The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Grounder the Critic View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Grounder the Critic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 5:45am
Sorry. But, it's the truth.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Sequels should rightly be measured against the films in the same series which preceded them -- and by that standard, considering how incredibly entertaining at least two of the previous three INDIANA JONES movies had been, INDY 4 was, at best, a disappointment and to some (apparently many of our Voting Members) it was a desecration of what had come before it. 

Other than last year's Worst Picture "winner" TRANNIES, TOO: REVENGE OF THE FALLEN, I can think of no other recent blockbuster that was so universally disparaged by most everyone who paid to see it...  

Pictures move, do they?
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 7:25am
No...the truth is, it was a bad movie. The plot pandered to the crowd that believes that a former Swiss hotel manager/felon has a more reasonable view on history than a long line of historians and anthropologists that have spent a lifetime studying and researching their fields. The "long lost son" plot element was so hoary it should have been retired in the 1940's. Harrison Ford mailed in his performance...the list goes on and on...

I repeat -- it was a bad movie! 

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 10:39am
I understand that there are people who liked "Indy 4". It was fun, they got the warm and fuzzy feeling of nostalgia and all. However, once you get over the whole "ah, there's my childhood hero on the big screen again" thing, you begin to notice the stuff saturnwatcher mentioned above, and you realize "wow, Lucas ruined yet another of America's beloved movie series".
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2010 at 5:38pm

My question is not "Why Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?" but rather "Why Crystal Skull instead of Disaster Movie or The Clone Wars?"

Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Spt. 12: Dolphin Tale 2, Search Party. Spt. 19: The Maze Runner.
Mayhem5185 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mayhem5185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2010 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by GTAHater767

My question is not "Why Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?" but rather "Why Crystal Skull instead of Disaster Movie or The Clone Wars?"

That was my beef with Indy 4 winning the award, don't get me wrong, it wasn't that good and deserved the nomination, but to put it ahead of Disaster movie (which spoofed Indy 4 in an amazingly moronic way) was a travesty. That year had some of the best nominations, but kind of missed the mark a few times in the actual awards (for example, Disaster Movie won nothing)
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2010 at 5:46pm
I think for a lot of Razzie voters, there is a significant difference between a movie that is intended to be good and throw away crap like Disaster Movie that is made for a basically brain dead audience looking for cheap laughs. Given the choice between voting for the well intentioned movie gone bad or the bad movie that is what it was intended to be, tearing into the big guy is more interesting. I'd much rather see a movie that wants to be good but fails take home the trophy than a movie that is begging for our attention, and I think a lot of the voters here share that mindset.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 4:21pm
Well then Speed Racer should've won it.
UPDATE: You're right. It's a wonder Uwe Boll's movies didn't get nominated as Rip-Offs. In the Name of the King was an adaptation of a video game, so it qualified as a rip-off. I guess Worst PSRR isn't a matter of worst sequel overall, but worst shortfall compared to expectations according to the predecessors and/or source material.
Possible Unofficial Forums, given <35% approval: Spt. 12: Dolphin Tale 2, Search Party. Spt. 19: The Maze Runner.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 5:30pm
Truly, I believe Uwe Boll and Seltzerberg should have swept everything that year. Intentions aside, those were the worst, unwatchable, can't figure out for your how they go greenlit, turds ever to be made that year!
Mayhem5185 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mayhem5185 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 7:38pm
I'm just glad Uwe was finally given his due while he mattered
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2010 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Mayhem5185

I'm just glad Uwe was finally given his due while he mattered
True, true. Now he's making movies with budgets of like $3.50, and that are impossible to find anywhere.
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2010 at 3:24pm
I wonder if that South Park episode contributed to Indy's "win".  You know, how Indiana Jones was raped. Matt and Trey took that to a literal level, and they also showed Lucas and Spielberg raping a Stormtrooper and having raped corpses of Yoda and Jabba the Hutt (mocking the CGI versions of them in the Razzie "winning" prequels & the special editions).

Also, remember that NukeNuking the FridgeNuke was used as a movie equivalent of "Jumping the Shark."
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2010 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Berrynoia

I wonder if that South Park episode contributed to Indy's "win".  You know, how Indiana Jones was raped. Matt and Trey took that to a literal level, and they also showed Lucas and Spielberg raping a Stormtrooper and having raped corpses of Yoda and Jabba the Hutt (mocking the CGI versions of them in the Razzie "winning" prequels & the special editions).

You're right on both accounts. Frankly, the puppet versions of Yoda and Jabba were much more believable than their cartoonish looking CGI counterparts.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2010 at 5:14pm
I should've remembered. South Park Episode 1208, The China Probrem, along with the new phrase "Nuking the Fridge", were probably the exact reasons Crystal Skull beat both Speed Racer and Disaster Movie for worst PSRR. On a list of the 10 biggest "Oh my G**, What the F***" moments in cinema, nuking the fridge would be in the Top 3. It was all the internet and cross-media memes that got it that ranking. That doesn't make it right, however. I still think Disaster Movie or In the Name of the King should've won.
 Post Reply Post Reply