Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > PUNISHER: WAR ZONE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Will It Be Punished w/a RAZZIE??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will It Be Punished w/a RAZZIE??
    Posted: November 25 2008 at 5:12am

TRUE, a GOOD SCREENPLAY IS the STARTING POINT for ANY GOOD MOVIE...and PUNISHER: WAR ZONE HAD a SCREENPLAY from SOME of the FOLKS RESPONSIBLE for ONE of 2008's BEST-REVIEWED COMIC-BASED BLOCKBUSTERS, IRON MAN...

BUT IT ALSO HAD a TROUBLED PRODUCTION HISTORY (REPUTEDLY BEING TAKEN OUT of the HANDS of ITS DIRECTOR at ONE POINT) and ALSO HAD ITS RELEASE DATE RESCHEDULED at the LAST MINUTE LAST SEPTEMBER...EITHER of WHICH COULD HAVE BEEN an INDICATION of a LIKELY CONTENDER for OUR AWARDS.   

SO, IS IT SOMETHING of INTEREST to SUPERHERO MOVIE FANS...

SOMETHING of INTEREST to RAZZIE® VOTERS...

OR SOMETHING of INTEREST TO NO-ONE-in-PARTICULAR?? 

GUY with WATCH: "Okay, what Bozo in the make-up department came up with the brilliant idea of attaching the mask with Krazy Glue?!?"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 5:17am

WOW! This Forum has been up for over 15 minutes already and neither moviewizeguy nor MigelAntilsu have leapt to the defense yet of this movie yet...

HAVE THEY BOTH TAKEN OFF EARLY for TURKEY DAY WEEKEND?!?!?

Everything SUX!
Headbanger14 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Headbanger14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 1:40pm
The original Punisher movie was junk. I can only imagine that this film won't fair any better unless the writers from Ironman somehow bring out a miracle to save it...instead of a punishment for critics and audiences alike.
PopcornAvenger View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote PopcornAvenger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 11:59am

What do you mean by "original Punisher"?  I think the original was the best - the one featuring Dolph Lundgren. It still wasn't a gem, but it was entertaining and watchable, unlike the truly horrible remake starring John Travolta. That one made my top five Most Horrible Comic Book Movies list (with Elektra being #2, and of course Superman Returns #1).

As for this movie? Well, they can't do worse than the last, you simply can't sink lower than the bottom of the barrel. I'm not real hopeful about it though, it's very likely to be great Razzie material.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2008 at 3:50pm

"The Punisher" series has sucked, both as a comic and as movies, period. It's all about a 1-D character; a guy running around and shooting bad guys. I know there's suppose to be drama over the fact the guy's entire family was killed in front of him, but after that, it's all downhill shooting and killing from there. Who knows, maybe this installment of the series will be bloodier than "Rambo 4".

PS: In terms of Worst Comic Book Movies, there are only THREE worth mentioning as the all-time worst, and all other bad comic book movies pale in comparsion to how badly these three movies sucked. Believe it or not, they are all made by WB and DC. Those three movies are "Batman And Robin", "Steel", and "Catwoman". The first was nothing but bad puns every 0.5 seconds, the second was just the saddest excuse for Shaq to star in a movie, and the third had nothing what so ever to do with the title character it was supposed to be based upon. If "IronMan" and "Dark Knight" are examples to all future comic book movie makers of what you SHOULD do, then those three turds are the prime examples of what NOT to do.

Originally posted by PopcornAvenger

What do you mean by "original Punisher"?  I think the original was the best - the one featuring Dolph Lundgren. It still wasn't a gem, but it was entertaining and watchable, unlike the truly horrible remake starring John Travolta. That one made my top five Most Horrible Comic Book Movies list (with Elektra being #2, and of course Superman Returns #1).

As for this movie? Well, they can't do worse than the last, you simply can't sink lower than the bottom of the barrel. I'm not real hopeful about it though, it's very likely to be great Razzie material.

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RoadDogXVIII View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2008 at 7:12am
I've no idea how this one's gonna pan out. The original forgoed action for head-slapping scenarios, awful character development, hideous acting around the board, dated music score that sounded like it came from an electric keyboard, and inability for viewers to related and become absorbed.

War Zone simply looks like a straight-to-video release (Ray Stevenson is channelling Steven Seagal) that is supposed to go for more action, a la The Incredibe Hulk, but nothing impressed me. The only guy I can root for is Dominic West. Something about the line "Let's play a game" gave me chills.

But aside from that and being a little faithful to the comics (I heard on Wikipedia - go ahead, laugh - that Frank Castle did rain on the party of the oldest living mob boss in the comics), we also have the following negatives: a soundtrack that supposedly includes gaudy heavy metal (Rob Zombie's song from the TV spots didn't impress me), Julie Benz in her third bomb to date, Michael Bay-like heavy lighting (like it or not, Transformers curbed Bay's nasty directorial tics for a genuine good time, something this film lacks), and the most cartoonish-looking cemetary to date. Sorry, but this film's gonna be eaten alive.
You think you know, but you have no idea.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2008 at 9:04am
Dominic West's casting as JigSaw would make this a must-see, if not for the troubled production. So far, the best "Punisher"-themed product, other than the kick-ass comic, was that video-game with Nick Fury.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2008 at 9:20am

That was very clever.  You posted a forum and jumped the gun in the process.  I haven't even formed an opinion yet.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2008 at 11:48am

Originally posted by RoadDogXVIII

War Zone simply looks like a straight-to-video release.

Agreed! If you ask me, it's one of those straight to DVD sequels that somehow made it onto the big screen, much like "Van Wilder 2". 

Headbanger14 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Headbanger14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2008 at 8:44am
Originally posted by PopcornAvenger

Oh, I was talking about the remake with John Travolta. I forgot there was an original.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2008 at 2:33pm

I mentioned on another forum that this film might turn out to be bad because they are replacing Thomas Jane (who portrayed the Punisher in the first film) with Ray Stevenson (who will portray the Punisher in this film).  Actor changes have ruined film series in the past, this may face a similar fate.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2008 at 5:17pm

The Thomas Jane movie wasn't that great to begin with, so it's not like there's much here for Stevenson to ruin!

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
tomsmo35 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2008 at 4:40am

At least Ray Stevenson looks like The Punisher from The Comic Books, and his gear seems pretty cool. But I agree, this could've gone straight-to-DVD... 

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2008 at 2:37am

True, but there's more to movies than stuff looking cool. Seriously, if Marvel (or DC for that matter) is going to make movies based on their C, D, or even Z list characters, they should all be released straight-to-DVD... 

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2008 at 2:56am

Are you saying that the change of lead actor won't affect its status, or the actor change might benefit it slightly?

Originally posted by tomsmo35

At least Ray Stevenson looks like The Punisher from The Comic Books, and his gear seems pretty cool.

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2008 at 6:52am

YEP! Thomas Jane dropped out because the script was taking too long to write and he didn't care for any of the revisions. I think he did a smart thing by dropping out. An actor can only be as good as the script he has to work with. No matter who stars as the Punisher, it will always be a bland, shoot 'em up movie.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>