Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > THE RUINS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Will It RUIN Box Office Records??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will It RUIN Box Office Records??
    Posted: December 21 2008 at 4:23am
Originally posted by Michaels

Originally posted by moviewizguy

I think it's one of the best movies ever created.

But you say that about every movie we post here in the forum.

Please, get back on topic....

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2008 at 1:10pm

Yo, moviewizguy -- I just think instead of saying stuff like "one of the best movies ever created," you could say stuff like "one of the better horror (or other genre) movies made in recent memory." Just a thought.

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2008 at 4:03pm

I always say that, especially for [Rec] and The Mist. Now it's time for me to say "one of the best movies ever created" because I do truly think so. You think I'm kidding but please, I urge you to see the movie first. But I think it's even better if you go out and read the novel first.

This film is like being punched in the stomach and kicked around so many times until you're left for dead in the end. That's how my experience was. It was all psychological and that's what makes this movie so great. One critic summed it perfectly for me:

These are the beautiful people, and by the end of The Ruins we'll have spent a lot of time watching them go downhill.

Oh, how I wish this movie would be screened to the critics...76 reviews in RT...so unfair. Maybe I could email Roger Ebert and tell him to see it?

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2008 at 1:45am
Well, I must admit this, if there's one thing that creeps me out more than anything, it's the thought of some kind of parasite working its way inside your body and messing around with your DNA as you're helpless just to watch it happen. However, "Splinter" came out a few months ago and it was about the same thing, so perhaps you should see that and compare the two.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2008 at 3:04am

Yeah, I know. Too bad it was only in limited release. Wait. Actually, the stupid studio decided to release it for a day, and make it watchable on demand on cable. Damn them! Guess I'll be adding this with Midnight Meat Train and Repo!

But back to the topic, I love movies that just mess up your mind, although that doesn't sound like a pleasant thing. Movies like The Mist and 1408 do that for me. 

Well, I must admit this, if there's one thing that creeps me out more than anything, it's the thought of some kind of parasite working its way inside your body and messing around with your DNA as you're helpless just to watch it happen. However, "Splinter" came out a few months ago and it was about the same thing, so perhaps you should see that and compare the two.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 9:34am

By now, I've seen both movies and I still have to say The Ruins was the better movie, by far. I think this movie does it better by showing the group breaking down psychologically by the end of the film, which is the reason why I love this movie so much. It's depressing, bleak, and tragic, and I don't like to see a lot of films like this because it's so damn depressing but The Ruins is good at what it does and does it exceptionally fantastic.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2009 at 5:21pm

Originally posted by moviewizguy

By now, I've seen both movies and I still have to say The Ruins was the better movie, by far. I think this movie does it better by showing the group breaking down psychologically by the end of the film, which is the reason why I love this movie so much. It's depressing, bleak, and tragic, and I don't like to see a lot of films like this because it's so damn depressing but The Ruins is good at what it does and does it exceptionally fantastic.

Okay, if you say, so, even though this thread is over a year old and it's rather pointless to bring it up again. But in my opinion, a horror movies doesn't need to over the top bleak, depressing, and tragic to be good. In the end, character development and plot matter more, and that's what "Spliter" had to offer.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2010 at 3:06pm
***/*****

All I have to say is that the ending was way too rushed.

Grades:4,5 and C-
Concensus:50%
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12