Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > THE RUINS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Will It RUIN Box Office Records??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will It RUIN Box Office Records??
    Posted: April 01 2008 at 1:15am

BUZZ on THIS STEPHEN-KING-ENDORSED / BEN-STILLER-PRODUCED LITTLE HORROR FLICK SUGGESTS THE RUINS COULD BE a MONSTER BOX OFFICE HIT...OR JUST ANOTHER PIECE of sh*t from HOLLYWOOD's HORROR-MOVIE-MEAT-GRINDER...

SINCE IT WASN'T SCREENED BEFORE IT OPENED, WE'LL GO with the LIKELIER SCENARIO: IT'LL BE a BLAST to WATCH, BUT LARGELY BECAUSE the AUDIENCE WILL BE LAUGHING -- and NOT ALWAZE in the RIGHT PLACES.

GOOD, BAD or INDIFFERENT, IT'LL STILL PROBABLY BE ONE of the MORE ENTERTAINING MOVIES of 2008 ...WHICH, THESE DAZE, ISN'T REALLY SAYING BERRY MUCH...

"Whatever it is, I hope it brought some graham crackers for our 'Smores!!"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 1:45am

This film's title is off by only ONE LETTER from one of the true horrors of tourism South of the border: THE RUNS... 

Everything SUX!
wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 11:01am
If Stiller's the producer, then it seems likely it will be the "Ruins," all right...
#1-Movie-Fan! View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1-Movie-Fan! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2008 at 11:19am

Since "Ben Stiller" isn't all that uncommon a name, I thought I'd check at IMDb if this film's producer is the Ben Stiller. Sure enough, it's the same Stiller who was a 2004 Worst Actor nominee for 5 titles, including "Dodgeball" and "Starsky & Hutch" -- both of which he also produced. So in my mind, the odds of "Ruins" being a clunker just got a little higher...

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2008 at 2:14am

If Ben Stiller's parents hadn't been well-connected (although grossly overrated) entertainers in their own right, the most frequently delivered, scripted lines he'd be reciting these days would be:

"Would you like fries with that?"

and 

"May I Supersize that for you today?"

He is awful as an actor...and I expect we'll soon see that his skills as a producer are equally pathetic! 

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 10:51am

Actually, so many people are looking forward to this. Early screenings had garnered great reviews and people said the book was really scary, so I have high hopes for this... 

Response from head RAZZberry: Quick, moviewizguy, name a movie (any movie!) for which you DIDN'T have "high hopes."

Bottom line, I picked THE RUINS as Worst of the Weak because it was obvious that whether it turned out to be scary or silly, it was bound to be entertaining... 

Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2008 at 3:29am
57% and counting from the site Rotten Tomatoes. "Letherheads" has the same score as well. "Nim's Island" has a 46% approval.

Might be another good week nothing bad has come out below the Razzie mark. Hopefully we'll find out if this holds true.
RoadDogXVIII View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2008 at 4:27am
Here's a review from movie critic Brian Ordorf.

If Herschell Gordon Lewis directed “Little Shop of Horrors,” “The Ruins” would likely be the end product. A skin-crawlingly diabolical horror film, “The Ruins” is a sobering reminder that the screen can still generate anxiety on a massive scale when it meets material that takes few prisoners.

On vacation in Mexico, four college students (Shawn Ashmore, Jena Malone, Laura Ramsey, and Jonathan Tucker) meet a German tourist (Joe Anderson) looking to break away from the grind of perfect beaches and bottomless margaritas. Their adventure destination is a lost Mayan temple located in the middle of a dense jungle, and once arrived, the group tragically learns they are not welcome by the vicious locals. Trapped on top of the temple, the students quickly grasp they are not alone, finding the flowers and vines that surround them have a taste for blood. Toying with the group, the flora waits patiently as injury and madness soon settles in, leaving the hapless youngsters with no means of escape.

Adapted by Scott Smith (“A Simple Plan”) from his own novel, “The Ruins” is governed by one rule: razor-sharp simplicity. There’s no undercurrent of absurd social commentary, no extraneous subplots vying for screentime; “The Ruins” is a straightforward exercise in endurance and disturbing imagery. Not having personally experienced the novel, I didn’t sense any gaps in the storytelling, which is a credit to Smith, who overhauled his original plot to streamline the agony. It’s a triumphant piece of scripting, securing the tension to the front burners at all times and staging sequences not for their jump-scare potential, but for more gut-wrenching results that will surely leave weak-kneed audience members sprinting for the exits.

Director Carter Smith (“Bugcrush”) is game to go where Smith leads and he rarely breaks the film’s constant haze of dread. “Ruins” dabbles in psychological torment, yet the heart of this beast lies in old-fashioned displays of gore, with the characters digging around in their own bodies with knives in a pathetic attempt to keep the vines literally out of their system. Certainly this isn’t high art, but “Ruins” is near-perfect at manipulating its audience, emphasizing physical threat and consequence, with a profound admiration for armrest-squeezing bodily harm on a level few recent horror productions would dare explore.

The acting by the young leads is better than expected, especially the work committed to the screen here by Laura Ramsey, who is the only member of the cast to reach the next level of despair as the vines attempt to find a warm home under her skin. Smith wisely keeps the actorly hysterics to a minimum, preferring visual communication of suffering that’s incredibly more effective riling up the audience than bad actors allowed free reign to act badly.

It could be the steady diet of numbskull horror offerings lately, but I was with “Ruins” for the entire ride, delighting in the merciless direction and fantastical botanical twists with eyes wide open. It’s one of those strap-in-and-ride-it-out experiences that are all too rare; forgoing elaborate strands of exposition to settle on more direct lunges of terror. It’s a marvelous nightmare machine.

So, from the looks of things, this might be an entertaining movie. I may have to retract it from my list of potential crap films, along with How She Move.
You think you know, but you have no idea.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2008 at 5:16am

There aren't really enough reviews up at RT so far to spot a trend as of this writing, but this actually may not even be the worst horror flick of the week, bad as it may be. There is another candidate called Grizzly Park which is being described as something the SciFi channel would probably reject.

Geez, Hollywood is putting out so much garbage these days we can't even hope to keep up.

Incidentally, moviewizguy, I'd be quick to point out that the number of decent/good/great books that have translated into absolutely awful movies is almost endless. In my entire experience as an avid reader/moviegoer, I can only think of one movie that was actually better than the book from which it was adapted. That was Field of Dreams. It was, of course, an outstanding movie adapted from a book that wasn't all that great, called Shoeless Joe.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
tomsmobr View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmobr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2008 at 5:15am

I thought that this movie looked a little bit like Bug and The Descent.  I could be wrong, but when I saw the trailer, those were the first two movies that came to mind.

JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2008 at 5:17pm
And when I saw the trailer, i kept thinking of the classic Attack of the
Mushroom People!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2008 at 12:38pm
I'm reading the book and it's really amazing!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 4:36pm

...just finished it. It's really depressing. Gosh, I hope the movie is good! 

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2008 at 7:23am

I just finished the movie (wow. What a fast two days of reading and one day of watching): 9/10:

A group of friends whose leisurely Mexican holiday takes a turn for the worse when they, along with a fellow tourist embark on a remote archaeological dig in the jungle, where something evil lives among the ruins.

Yes, I have read the book and it was one of the few books that I read that were actually really good. Amazingly, this movie have pulled it off: It's better than the book. Probably because the book is nothing like the movie, yet the movie has some similar elements and gist of the book. Judging from the trailer, you might think it's another dumb, teen horror flick. This is where you're wrong. In fact, this movie is much more of a psychological thriller than a horror flick.

For those who have read the book, you may feel upset that they changed it up so much, but I think otherwise: The movie changed up some flaws that were in the book: The characters are much smarter, things that I wanted to happen in the book, like the characters doing something differently, happened in the movie, and there's an alternate ending, which I think is so much better than the book so it really doesn't matter if you read the book first and then saw the movie, or vice versa.

But, of course, this is my opinion. Unlike many horror movies, even as an R rated horror movie, The Ruins relies much more on tension and suspense than blood and gore, even though there is blood and gore in the film. This is one of the best movies created this year and one of the best horror film ever.

However, I do think the characters in the book are much more sympathetic and lovable than in the movie. The movie is like 85 minutes and the book is 510 pages. Of course, the book added much more character development and other stuff than the fast paced movie. Still, I don't mind, because I still felt the characters were sympathetic and lovable. They're given great dialog and much more than 2-dimensional characters you see in most horror movies these days.

Whether you have read the book or not, you'll be surprised at what is to happen in the movie. Some might call the ending a cop out, after what just happened, but I liked that ending much better than the one from the book. This messes with your head. This movie will not satisfy everyone, but it surely did for me. I just found the movie unfairly picked on because people, I assume, expected violence, gore, and nudity. The movie is better than that and it is.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2008 at 2:52pm
Has anyone get to see this movie yet? I think it's one of the best movies ever created.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2008 at 2:12am

Originally posted by moviewizguy

I think it's one of the best movies ever created.

But you say that about every movie we post here in the forum.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>