Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 27th RAZZIE® AWARDS DISCUSSIONS & FORUMS > DA VINCI CODE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Will the Code (or The Film) Be Broken?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Will the Code (or The Film) Be Broken?!?
    Posted: May 19 2006 at 4:53am

NEVER MIND TOM HANKS' GREASY, LONG HAIR or THE RELIGIOUS CONTROVERSY -- WORD of MOUTH PEGGED the MOST-ANTICIPATED RELEASE of 2006 AS the YEAR's BIGGEST YAWN. THE BOOK's 60 MILLION READERS MADE IT a B.O. SMASH...BUT WAS DA VINCI DA STINKER of the YEAR??

Slept through it yet? Feel free to post your reactions and comments BELOW...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2006 at 10:56pm
I guess I will toss in the first contrary opinion here. I liked this movie. I approached it from the perspective of one of the 6 people in American who hadn't read the book (yet), however I found the movie interesting. It certainly wasn't the best film I've ever seen, but I did not find it dull in the least, and the performances were generally good.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2006 at 11:43am
Razz, I thought the critics had to be kidding, it couldn't be that boring. I
was wrong. The critics were right and it was one of the most boring and
dull movies I ever saw. Everything is explained two or three times and the
book was dumbed down to fourth-grade level. Based on this Visual
Sominex, I think Opie is on his way to winning his first RAZZIE
deadguy76 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote deadguy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2006 at 10:17pm
I haven't seen the movie but I did read the book. My first reaction was: Tom Hanks as a Harvard professor? My second reaction was: Tom Hanks in a romantic lead... without Meg Ryan???
"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2006 at 4:13pm
Joe Versus the Volcano was one of Tom Hanks' weak films, and that film also starred Meg Ryan. You've Got Mail was pretty weak as well, but a little better. It was only Sleepless in Seattle that Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan were good. However, I think that film could have done without Rosie O'Donnell, and I don't care what anyone says about that.
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
Sanndman228715 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sanndman228715 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 9:10am
I saw it, and here is my honest opinion: I don't think anyone in the cast should be on the nominating ballot. Tom Hank's and Tautou were alright, Ian Mckellen was great, Paul Bettany did a good job ( As the majority of critics pointed out). Jean Reno did fine with his role, and I think Alfred Molina was good, but neither he or Reno were given much to do. I think that the film's faults lie with the screenplay and probably the direction.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 5:31pm
Splash was another weak film Tom Hanks has done, and that was directed by Ron Howard. Also, Eugene Levy was in that one, which made it worse.
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
miladyblue View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote miladyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2006 at 8:16am

Dull, dumbed down or whatever, you have to admit, the Catholic Church has done an admirable job of giving Sony incredible amounts of free publicity.

When, oh, WHEN are the ultra religious types EVER going to learn that if they act hysterical in the face of "offensive" material, all it is going to do is create the carrot which millions of jackasses cannot live without?

Capital punishment turns the state into a murderer... but life imprisonment turns the state into a gay dungeon master.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 6:10pm
Yeah, my point exactly.
Raspberry_Pie View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Raspberry_Pie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2006 at 9:25am

I'm one of the few people that had not read the book, two chapters of reading it I was snoring, but I went with my family to see it anyway, I found it better than the book visually but it wasn't as detailed as the book. The roles could have been better casted, but I was fairly pleased with the result. I'm probably being very biased right now in saying that I thought the English actors (Ian McKellan and Paul Bettany) in the movie were very good. I don't think the DaVinci Code is deserving of a Razzie, lets keep them for the true stinkers.

Hollywood: Crap Movies-R-Us
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2006 at 6:01am
Already no longer in theaters, finished a little strong at the B.O., making over $217 million, 4th place for 2006 behind X-Men: The Last Stand, Cars, and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, which back on Friday, made it past the $1 billion mark at the B.O worldwide, marking it the 3rd film overall to pass that mark worldwide.
deadguy76 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote deadguy76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2006 at 10:22am

Good news: the box office isn't dead yet.

Bad news: Good movies won't be seen until they hit DVD.

"Woody Allen, whatever his failings, does not make movies for morons. Most directors do. Of course, most directors are morons."

- Joe Queenan

http://www.myspace.com/deadguy76
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2006 at 6:06am
Updating News: Researchers using three-dimensional technology to study the "Mona Lisa" say the woman depicted in Leonardo da Vinci's 16th century masterpiece was either pregnant or had recently given birth when she sat for the painting. Here's a LINK to read the full report: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060927/ap_en_ot/mona_lisa
wetbandit82 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote wetbandit82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2006 at 2:09pm

I considered it an average film, not great but not terrible.  And I only went to see it as a movie, since I know just how inaccurate Dan Brown's book actually is (unlike the executives, I like to know how historically accurate something is).  The major problem was pacing; it seemed they were trying to crame everything from the novel into it. 

Brierfox View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Brierfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2006 at 5:47pm
It coulda been a contender!   I liked the book and was dissappointed by the movie.  There are better (or should I say worse) contenders for this year's Razzie Awards.   
"We aren't in Kansas anymore Toto... Toto??"
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2006 at 4:33pm

Like I've said a hundred times, it never did end up being a B.O. Bomb like anyone would think, but it still ended up pretty bad. Oh well, I was watching Forrest Gump last night, and like one thing for sure, there's like no way anyone with a disability like he had would do anything great, like being a football All-American, a Vietnam War hero, a Shrimp boat owner, run around the whole US, and even meet JFK, Nixon, Lennon, etc. It almost looks like no one can meet everyone in a lifetime (Deadguy, I don't really think Tom Hamks is gay or anything. In fact, I never really thought he was at all).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>