Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUM DISCUSSIONS of Specific 2014 Titles > MEMBER STARTED FORUMS on 2014 Titles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

WINTER'S TALE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WINTER'S TALE
    Posted: February 16 2014 at 2:16pm
Well add her to the list then
If you care to find me, Look to the Western Sky :)
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2014 at 8:44pm
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2014 at 3:31pm
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2014 at 4:01pm
That review was golden. The fact that he calls Caleb Deschanel's work on Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter masterly is hilarious and so is the offhand burn towards A Beautiful Mind.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2014 at 11:44am
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2014 at 8:53am
This one is now on my radar, too.

Based on what I'm reading, I'm incredulous.  How could so much star power allow such a train wreck? 

Then again, I did watch Movie 43. . . .

moviecritic1994 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2014 at 4:43pm
Winter's Tale is officially a huge Box Office Bomb! Here's the Link to its page on Box Office Mojo
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 8:30pm
I just saw it. For your consideration:

-Worst Supp. Actor for Russell Crowe (not for NOAH).
-Worst Director.
-Worst Picture.

Oh, and maybe Worst Supp. Actor for Will Smith. But not:

-Worst Actress for Jessica Brown Findlay.
-Worst Screen Couple for Farrell & Findlay.
-Worst Original Song for MIRACLE by KT Tunstall.

I'll say whether it deserves Worst Screenplay or not after I do some research on the book.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2014 at 8:35pm
Will Smith's appearance isn't a spoiler. All anyone has to do is look up the credits on IMDB, he's right there

I would say this film deserves the whole enchilada when it comes to the Razzies. Worst Screenplay is a must because the story and dialogue is not only hard to take seriously but even harder to understand. Even within the confines of the film's world none of it makes sense.

I just can't wait till I get to make FYC ADZ again
Doppy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Doppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 2:01am
Winter's Tale, also known as Lethargy's tale... LOL
Bad debut  for Akiva Goldsman as a director!  

This movie brings a tear of joy...when the credits appear on screen to announce "The End"!!   

Will Smith completely is out of place, Russell Crowe pathetically mimics a demon, and beautiful Jennifer Connelly has the most useless and nonsensical role of her career.  

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 9:36am
It does deserve consideration for Worst Screenplay.
Doppy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Doppy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2014 at 10:47am
Originally posted by Vits

It does deserve consideration for Worst Screenplay.

Yeah , I also have this warning! 

There are too absurd dialogues in the film... 

Striking example is this: "Oh My you have a gun! Umm .... you're very hot though. Wanna Hook Up?" 

It deserves.
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 8:21pm
Time to review Winter's Tale. Winter's Tale is the rare movie that's completely balls-out insane and incredibly boring. Much like most of the films that I've reviewed this summer, this film can only be reviewed using the 9 worst things review. Before I begin, here's two things that aren't completely awful: the cinematography is nice and when Russell Crowe repeatedly headbutts Colin Farrell, it's not to the tune of Itsy Bitsy Spider.

9.) Colin Farrell's inexplicable accent: Colin Farrell uses his natural Irish accent in the film. However, his character was raised by American bums and has no reason to have an Irish accent. I'd assume that Akiva Goldsman thinks that accents are hereditary*, but the films goes out of its way to explain why Jessica Brown Findlay has a British accent despite having an American dad. I have three theories as to why this occurred: 1.) Akiva Goldsman is a gigantic idiot, 2.) Colin Farrell can't do an American accent to save his life, and 3.) all of the above. I'm going with choice three.

8.) The special effects: Sometimes when the magical horse that's called a dog for some reason is flying, there's rainbow wings on it. The rainbow wings look like ass.

7.) Jennifer Connelly: Connelly is one of the most gorgeous actresses to ever live and a decent actress. She was magnificent in Noah. However, she's bad in this film. It's clear that the only reason she's in this movie was because she won an Oscar for Goldsman's disgustingly overrated A Beautiful Mind.

6.) Jessica Brown Findlay: I've never watched Downton Abbey or anything else with Findlay in it, but based on her performance here she's an awful actress. Her meet cute scene with Colin Farrell is hilariously bad. Not helping matters for her...

5.) Jessica Brown Findlay's death scene: The scene where Findlay dies is one of the most unintentionally hilarious scenes this year. It's supposed to be tragic, but instead I was laughing my ass off. Mainly because it's oddly reminiscent of Madonna's Body of Evidence.

4.) Colin Farrell: Farrell is a frustrating actor. He's been good in movies like In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths but then he does crapola like the Total Recall remake and this one. His performance here is bland and boring.

3.) Will Smith as Lucifer: Smith's uncredited cameo has turned into one of the biggest WTF moments of the year and with good reason. It takes you out of the movie and Smith is awful here. Also, why does he sound differently when the lights are turned off? I understand the out of universe reason (to make the appearance a surprise), but what the reason in-universe for why he sounds different?

2.) Russell Crowe: Crowe does the almost unthinkable task of being even worse than he was in Les Miserables. His performance is nails on a chalkboard bad. He's so bad in this I don't know where to begin. So, I'll just talk about the headbutt scene. When he tries to kill Colin Farrell, instead of shooting him or stabbing him, he headbutts him over and over. It turns out to be super effective** as he falls in the river, but it's not a critical hit since he lives. It's without a doubt the second worst headbutting scene in movie history.***

1.) Akiva Goldsman: Aaron Seltzer and Jason Friedberg. Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci. Ehren Kruger. Skip Woods. Daniel Loeb. Greg Berlanti. Those people are awful writers and Akiva Goldsman is worse than all of them combined! His script is the main reason why Batman And Robin is so absolutely unwatchable. His other crimes include the criminally overrated A Beautiful Mind, the bad bad bad Lost In Space movie, and The Da Vinci Code and Angels And Demons. For a good example from this film as to why Goldsman is such a hack, just look at the microfilm scene. In this scene, Colin Farrell's character needs to look at some old microfilms for research. He can't because he doesn't have an ID. For reference, it's been almost 100 years since he was almost killed by Russell Crowe but this is the first time he's needed an ID?!?!?!? Also in this near-century that's he's lived in, he's drawn graffiti of what he thinks is Findlay. It's established that Russell Crowe still lvies in the area and his graffiti is exactly the same as the picture that Crowe drew of her. How did he not see any of these graffiti?!?!?!?!?!? The answer to these questions is the same: Akiva Goldsman is to writing as Hitler was to decency.****

Akiva Goldsman's next script is the sequel to Divergent. Considering how horrible the first one looked, that sounds more watchable. Grade: F

Next-up: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III!

*This wouldn't even be in the top 10 dumbest things in his scripts.
**This is the most embarrassing joke I've ever had in my reviews.
***The worst is this one.
****I'm going to Hell for that joke.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviecritic1994 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2014 at 2:09am
Guys, let's not forget about this movie when the Nominating Ballots come out. Winter's Tale is just screaming for A Razzie!
Dun-Ida View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dun-Ida Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2014 at 12:48am
Here are my Razzie suggestions: 

Worst Picture. 

Worst Actor: Colin Farrell. Why is he using his Irish accent in this movie? His character has lived in the USA most of his life and the movie never mentions him growing up in a culturally distinct community. 

Worst Supporting Actress: Jessica Brown Findlay. Her performance is quite bland in this movie. She shows little emotional range. 

Worst Supporting Actor: 
Russell Crowe. He is unconvincing as a menacing, bullying thug. Instead of being intimidating he is just annoying. 
Will Smith. He was not very good as Lucifer. Not only did he fail to be a menacing presence but he displays over-acting. 

Worst Director: Akiva Goldsman. He has put together a long-winded and boring film. It is obvious that Goldsman made no effort to get the most out of the actors. He also made the movie way too long. The movie is just one long-winded scene after another. 

Worst Screenplay: The script cannot be taken seriously. The dialogue is dull and lifeless. The scenes were written to drag on for too long. If that was not bad enough, how the romance begins is just so stupid. 

Worst Screen Combination: Colin Farrell and Jessica Brown Findlay. There is little on screen chemistry between the two. 
Directed by Michael Bay and M. Night Shyamalan comes...a movie guaranteed to win Razzies!
JacobD View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JacobD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2014 at 12:26am
I really liked A Beautiful Mind although couldn't agree more that it is did get overrated. Moulin Rouge should have won Best Picture out of the nominated movies IMHO. Its my 3rd favorite film of 2001, behind Donnie Darko (which is one of my Top 10 all-time favorite movies), and Spielberg's A.I. (which, ironically happens to be my #1 favorite film of all time). Damn, 2001 was a kick-ass year for cinema!!!

And if not Moulin Rouge for Best Picture, then Fellowship of the Ring. But I don't think either deserved Best Adapted Screenplay. That would be Shrek. And if you don't like Moulin Rouge I completely understand. Its admittedly not for everyone but I myself love it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123