Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > DISCUSSIONS & POLLS on 2010 RELEASES > POLL: POSSIBLE WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESSES for 2010
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS of 2010

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Poll Question: Yer #1 Choice...
Vote Poll Choice Poll Statistics
[2.36%]
[10.36%]
[1.88%]
[2.06%]
[1.55%]
[2.04%]
[4.98%]
[5.29%]
[13.10%]
[1.23%]
[2.02%]
[5.29%]
[0.95%]
[2.78%]
[36.54%]
[5.36%]
[2.20%]

Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WORST SUPPORTING ACTRESS of 2010
    Posted: January 04 2011 at 6:39am
I think Kelly Preston CAN act.  ANd I feel she's far better than Jessica Alba, Jennifer Lopez or Megan Fox (at the very least) and is probably a better actress than Madonna.  But it's hard to say, since she's been "slumming" in the bad movies, in both major and minor roles, her entire career: Death Sentence, Nothing to Lose, Sky High, From Paris with Love, Old Dogs, Jack Frost, The Cat in the Hat and this year's The Last Song. . . Her best movies for me are From Dusk Til Dawn, Twins, Mischief and SpaceCamp.  And that's not a very impressive list.  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZBerry: Speaking of "slumming," you forgot to mention Preston's RAZZIE® "winning" role in that all-time clunker BATTLEFIELD EARTH...  

BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 2:18pm
Yeah, Preston seems kinda like a female equivalent of Nic Cage. She just accepts whatever scripts came across her desk, without weighing the pros and cons first.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 2:54pm
SKY HIGH is a good movie. 

Her highest-reviewed movie is JERRY MAGUIRE. 

In those you listed you forgot (from bad to worse) WHAT A GIRL WANTS, EULOGY, SECRET ADMIRER, VIEW FROM THE TOP, HOLY MAN and BROKEN BRIDGES.

Originally posted by cvcjr13

I think Kelly Preston CAN act.  ANd I feel she's far better than Jessica Alba, Jennifer Lopez or Megan Fox (at the very least) and is probably a better actress than Madonna.  But it's hard to say, since she's been "slumming" in the bad movies, in both major and minor roles, her entire career: Death SentenceNothing to LoseSky HighFrom Paris with LoveOld DogsJack Frost,The Cat in the Hat and this year's The Last Song. . . Her best movies for me are From Dusk Til DawnTwinsMischief and SpaceCamp.  And that's not a very impressive list.
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 7:26pm
HeadRAZZ, you just ruined my night reminding me of Battlefield Earth.  Ah, man, that hurt. . . .

Vits, Sky High sucks (compare to Professor X's school which is what a superhero school should be like), and I didn't mention Jerry McGuire because, aside from Cuba Gooding, Jr.'s performance and the premise, I really didn't like the movie. 

GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2011 at 8:09pm
Not Jerry McGuire either?! You hate a LOT of OSCAR fims!
moviegoer View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviegoer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2011 at 2:33am
 Back in the  1980's Kelly Preston seemed to always play the hot chick,who gets dumped in the end, in her teen movie roles. She played a psycho type chick in a couple of erotic thrillers in the 1990's.Those movies are always predictable and the psycho always died in the end. Now it's the good wife and mother roles that she seems to do all the time. With her looks fading ,what type of roles will she play now? That's assuming she gets any roles.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2011 at 6:01am
Now hold on.  What's with this straw man?  Stop putting words in my mouth because it's too hard to deal with what I actually said.

What's this "Not Jerry McGuire either" business?  I said I did like Cuba Gooding, Jr. in Jerry Maguire (let's both get the spelling right at least), which, for the record, was the ONLY Oscar winning performance in that film.  Yeah, it was nominated for best picture and Cruise was nominated for best actor, but they didn't win, and, more to the point, I didn't care for the movie or Cruise's performance.  Just Gooding.

And, frankly, do YOU like every film nominated for an Oscar?  Did you like The Godfather Part III?  It was nominated.  Did you like The Greatest Show On Earth?  It won!  I remember trying to watch Sounder, and within the first half hour I was almost sound asleep.  All were nominated for best picture.  Did you even like all 10 of the movies nominated for best picture last year?  Maybe, but I'm guessing no, you didn't.  It's not unusual to NOT like an Oscar nominated movie.

And what's this "You hate a LOT of OSCAR films" business?  Aside from the four I mentioned in this post, how many Oscar nominated movies have I said I didn't like?  There are others, but there aren't that many.  I'm convinced you're confusing me with another poster on this forum.

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2011 at 6:13am
Well, Meryl Streep seems to keep getting good roles, and Angelina Jolie and Sandra Bullock, both of whom seem to get stuck in the same rut Preston has always been stuck in, still turn in the occasional knockout performance, something Preston has yet to do.  Shall we talk about Judi Dench or Helen Mirren?  I'm not saying age isn't still a problem with actresses landing roles, but it's much less of a problem now than it ever has been.  Now, let's look at Kate Winslet, who is at least 12 years younger and has made a career out of knockout performances, one after another.  Preston has yet to do that once, yet she has the talent.  There's no excuse when you have the talent but you never landed the right movies even once in your career.

Oh, man, I'm still recovering from the mention of Battlefield Earth. .  .  

Originally posted by moviegoer

Back in the  1980's Kelly Preston seemed to always play the hot chick,who gets dumped in the end, in her teen movie roles. She played a psycho type chick in a couple of erotic thrillers in the 1990's.Those movies are always predictable and the psycho always died in the end. Now it's the good wife and mother roles that she seems to do all the time. With her looks fading ,what type of roles will she play now? That's assuming she gets any roles.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2011 at 7:43am
Yeah, but the key is the talent. See, actresses need to give knockout performances in their careers while they are still young, so that when they reach Streep's, Dench's, and Mirren's age, they are still getting work because they can give such knockout performances. Clearly, Megan Fox will not be getting any more roles once her looks fade away. Preston is a famous actress, but not a very good one. And an actress' career will only last so long if she's desperately hanging on to her fame, not her acting talent.  

Well, Meryl Streep seems to keep getting good roles, and Angelina Jolie and Sandra Bullock, both of whom seem to get stuck in the same rut Preston has always been stuck in, still turn in the occasional knockout performance, something Preston has yet to do.  Shall we talk about Judi Dench or Helen Mirren?  I'm not saying age isn't still a problem with actresses landing roles, but it's much less of a problem now than it ever has been.  Now, let's look at Kate Winslet, who is at least 12 years younger and has made a career out of knockout performances, one after another.  Preston has yet to do that once, yet she has the talent.  There's no excuse when you have the talent but you never landed the right movies even once in your career.
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2011 at 9:04am
I didn't love SKY HIGH, but gave it 7/10. I think it's considered "good" in general. I actually haven't seen JERRY MAGUIRE... 

[QUOTE=cvcjr13]Vits, Sky High sucks (compare to Professor X's school which is what a superhero school should be like), and I didn't mention Jerry McGuire because, aside from Cuba Gooding, Jr.'s performance and the premise, I really didn't like the movie.[/QUOTE
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2011 at 10:49am
I was just awe-struck at how many times both you and Saturnwatcher said they disliked an OSCAR film when I agreed with AMPAS the films were good. I have Jerry Maguire on my films to see for 1996. Apparently, The Godfather Part III divided critics, but it got my interest (don't treat those who wrote positive reviews on that movie as flat-out liars, any of you!).

Anyways, I used to be much more mild-mannered, but under an unknown cause, I've become much more short with people, and have an explosive temper online. It's just a problem I have.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2011 at 12:04pm
Well, I haven't paid that much attention, but it wouldn't surprise me if saturnwatcher had a great many opinions of many if not most of the Oscar nominees over the years.  Myself, I tend to like the vast majority of them more than not, but it doesn't mean I agree with NAMPAS all the time.   Jerry Maguire as a whole is definitely one of those times I disagreed.

Again, though, I do agree that Cuba Gooding, Jr. deserved his nomination and congratulate him on his win.  He did a fine job in that movie.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2011 at 12:10pm
BHB, you see Preston as not being a very good actress, while I see her as a good actress who has never picked a great movie to show us how much talent she truly has.  If things continue as they have been, we may never know.  In either case, though, the result is the same - her career will only last so long, as you put it. 

Originally posted by BurnHollywoodBurn

Yeah, but the key is the talent. See, actresses need to give knockout performances in their careers while they are still young, so that when they reach Streep's, Dench's, and Mirren's age, they are still getting work because they can give such knockout performances. Clearly, Megan Fox will not be getting any more roles once her looks fade away. Preston is a famous actress, but not a very good one. And an actress' career will only last so long if she's desperately hanging on to her fame, not her acting talent.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2011 at 1:09pm
There's also the problem of that she's not "A-list" for her acting. If she were, it'd be because of who she is married to. Without Travolta as a husband, I doubt her career would have lasted this long. Without a "knockout performance" to fall back on, she would have been all but forgotten by now. Since her husband has such clout, it doesn't matter if she stars in a good movie or not -- she'll always get another role.  

cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2011 at 9:38pm
Except that John Travolta has continued to pick fair to awful movies to star in of late.  I mean, what does it say when your best movie lately has been a remake of The Taking of the Pelham 1-2-3?  Travolta's remake wasn't bad.  In fact, it was all right.  But that was about it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2011 at 9:43pm
Yeah, but Travolta has the trump card of being a top-ranking Scientologist ... and the studios dare not mess with Scientologists, because too many celebrities are members. Good, fair, or awful, Travolta and his wife are always going to get work, or else studios will be losing their "stars" left and right.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>