Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > 31st Annual RAZZIE® Award Nominees & "WINNERS" > NUT-SMASHER 3-D
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed: Year's Biggest B.O. Bust...and NOT in a Good Way!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Year's Biggest B.O. Bust...and NOT in a Good Way!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Year's Biggest B.O. Bust...and NOT in a Good Way!
    Posted: November 29 2010 at 2:00pm
IMAGINE YOU SPENT $90 MILLION on a MOVIE and SAW IT OPEN to  a MOUSE-LIKE $87,539 in the U.S. and CANADA... 

THAT'S WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED the MAKERS of WHAT MAY BE 2010's BIGGEST BOX OFFICE BOMB, a 3-D REMAKE of TCHAIKOWSKY's NUTCRACKER FEATURING NATHAN LANE, JOHN TURTURRO and LYRICS APPENDED to the COMPOSER's ORIGINAL CLASSICAL SCORE.  TO TOP OFF IT's ILL-FATED BOX OFFICE TAKE, the FILM ALSO SCORED the ELUSIVE PERFECT 0% APPROVAL at ROTTEN TOMATOES -- and GOT a RESOUNDING "F" from a SUBSTANTIAL PORTION of the HANDFUL of PEOPLE WHO EVEN SAW IT... 

HERE'S YOUR CHANCE to LITERALLY "CRACK the NUTZ" of a MEGA-BUDGET B.O. BOMB... 

DON'T SAY WE NEVER GAVE YA NOTHIN' fer CHRISTMAS! 

EVEN THOUGH IT MAY LOOK LIKE THIS WAS WRITTEN 
by a MONKEY, a CLOWN and an 11-YEAR-OLD, BLAMING 
the 3 of US for NUTCRACKER 3-D IS BLATANTLY UNFAIR!!  

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Online
Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 2:13pm
Considering its limited release, I can't decide whether to expect this to get a nomination. I wish it had more RAZZIE pedigree. Isn't that what a limited release movie needs to get nominated??  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: As I see it, this is a possible contender for Worst Prequel, Remake, Rip-Off or Sequel and our proposed Worst Eye-Gouging Use of 3-D categories. As for any other nominations, I honestly don't think enough people will have seen it... 

BurnHollywoodBurn View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 2:26pm
The picture above is just ... wow. That's a deal-breaker right there!
The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Razziedent Evil View Drop Down
Berry New Comer
Berry New Comer

Post Options Post Options   Quote Razziedent Evil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 3:24pm
I cannot, just CANNOT stop laughing at the budget!!! LOLCryLOLCryLOL 90 million spent on this, just to get 0% on RottenTomatoes and $65,944 in its opening week at the Box Office???   

This may be the biggest flop EVER!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 7:09pm
Even "Cutthroat Island", which cost $100 million, made at least $1 million back!  

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: For the morbidly curious, here's a B.O. MoJo LINK to see their take on the budget and gross for CUTTHROAT ISLAND, which earned a 1995 Worst Director nomination for Renny Harlin. The film cost just under $100 million, and actually earned back about $10 million...  

The Four Horsemen of the Moviepocalypse: uncalled for sequels/remakes/reboots, 3-D surcharges, untalented "celebrities", and anything with Michael Bay's name attached to it.
Berrynoia View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Berrynoia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 8:10pm
This film only appeared on 42 screens (now considering its high budget, that is quite a (de)feat alone).  It makes its candidacy harder to determine...but I wonder if the producers' goal was to get this in wide release...

I looked at the trailer, and a lot of it looked more like a futuristic war flick than something based on a ballet, with the rat men as the dictators being fought against.
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 8:17pm

I first saw the trailer for this movie at a screening for the movie 'MegaMind'.  There was nothing in it that reminded me of the ballet it's based on.  Based on what I saw, only the first act was being adapted into a family adventure film.  There was nothing about the Sugar-Plum Fairy or the Land of Sweets in it.  It IS a colossal failure considering that it was made on a budget of $90M and made <0.1% of it back in its first weekend.  It's not likely to make any more progress competing against the likes of Harry Potter 7, Tangled, and The Warrior's Way.

Movie Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Movie Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 8:18pm
From Box Office Mojo's Arthouse report.

"While Break Ke Baad (Bollywood movie) fizzled, The Nutcracker in 3D was the weekend's major disappointment. Playing at 42 theaters, the reimagining of the classic ballet bombed in its debut, grossing $65,944 for the three-day weekend for a $87,539 five-day tally. Distributor Freestyle Releasing attributed the movie's dreary performance to its target audience (moms and their children) overwhelmingly choosing to see Tangled. Freestyle is looking to still expand the movie this upcoming weekend, though it won't be taking it nationwide as previously planned."

The only way Razzie-members might see and vote on this is if they download it.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 10:18pm
Only 42 theaters? Well, at least that doesn't break Uwe Boll's record of 4 theaters for "Postal"!
Film Reel Redemption View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Film Reel Redemption Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 10:29pm
Judging by the picture, I could sum up this movie in a few words:

Welcome to Operation Mind-F*** (as someone once said)
You see in this filmmaking world there's two types of people my friend. Those with the knowledge of film and those who think they do but really don't.
cvcjr13 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote cvcjr13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 8:05am
Like I said elsewhere, they gutted The Nutcracker and put The Yellow Submarine in its place.

I mean, look at a plot comparison.

TN3D: The rat people raid the Prince's land and take over.
TYS: The Blue Meanies raid Pepperland and take over.

TN3D: The rat people turn the Prince into a Nutcracker and send him into exile into another world, which turns out to be our world.
TYS: Fred manages to escape into another world, which turns out to be our world.  (Slight difference there)

TN3D:  The Nutcracker tells the little girl she can save his world.  She goes along.
TYS: Fred tells the Beatles they could save Pepperland.  They go along.

TN3D:  The little girl somehow frees the prince's world from the Rat People and the Nutcracker turns into a prince again.
TYS:  The Beatles somehow free Pepperland from the Blue Meanies and free Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.  (Again, a slight difference).

You can go on.  For example, instead of the Flying Glove from The Yellow Submarine, we have two rat people on jet packs in The Nutcracker 3D.

The biggest difference is that no Beatles songs were changed to accommodate The Yellow Submarine.  They added words to Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker for The Nutcracker 3D.

Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 12:49pm
Just 90 Million? No wonder the effects look a little lame!

I'm pretty sure CUTTHROAT ISLAND is the biggest flop ever. Literally.  

You can follow me @Vits_Chile
oiram View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote oiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 3:44pm
Does anyone know the name of the kid who played the nutcracker? I'm thinking about nominating him, as he was terrible!!!! Seriously, he'd make Macaulay Culkin look good as the Nutcracker. 

Elizabeth Hartman and Judith Barsi are more talented and beautiful than Scarlett Johansson and Chloe Grace Moretz. Fact.

Worst Supporting Actor: Brendan Fraser/Gimme Shelter and The Nut Job

JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 8:03pm
Wow, looks like it's playing at the Mann's Chinese. I'm tempted to go, but I'm still recovering from that Blue Light Special attack of Skyline...   

Burlesque did cheer me up a bit, though...  

2014 Pic: LEFT BEHIND Actor: NICHOLAS CAGE Director: VIC ARMSTRONG, DAMN THIS SHOULD WIN EVERY RAZZIE!!!!!
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote BurnHollywoodBurn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2010 at 10:32am
Not really. "Cutthroat Island" was also made for around $90 million, but at least made $1 million back in the US and $10 million worldwide. Now, if you mean by "Island" caused a studio to be shut down, then yes -- that would make it a bigger flop.  

Originally posted by Vits

I'm pretty sure CUTTHROAT ISLAND is the biggest flop ever. Literally.  
Vits View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Vits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2010 at 1:48pm
It depends on what kind of flop. ZYZZYX ROAD is the movie that grossed the least money. CUTTHROAT ISLAND is the one that lost the most money... 
You can follow me @Vits_Chile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>