Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > AMERICAN CAROL
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Yo, Zuker-Man...Where’s the FUNNY?!?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yo, Zuker-Man...Where’s the FUNNY?!?!?
    Posted: September 30 2008 at 5:31am

AIRPLANE IS, WE'LL BERRY GLADLY ADMIT, ONE of the FUNNIEST MOVIES EVER MADE. AND POLICE SQUAD MAY BE the FUNNIEST COMEDY SERIES in the HISTORY of TV. BUT DAVID ZUCKER, ONE of the MEN RESPONSIBLE for BOTH of THEM, APPEARS to HAVE ALMOST COMPLETELY LOST HIS SENSE of HUMOR in the DECADES SINCE.

SINCE IT IS FAIR to ASSUME THAT ANYTHING FUNNY in a SO-CALLED COMEDY WILL BE INCLUDED in the FILM's TRAILER, AMERICAN CAROL (BASED on IT'S ALL-BUT-LAUGH-FREE TRAILER) MAY BE the LEAST FUNNY "COMEDY" SINCE UWE BOLL's SIMILARLY TASTELESS (AND SIMILARLY POINTLESS) POSTAL -- IN FACT, SEVERAL of the SUPPOSED "JOKES" in the CAROL TRAILER ARE IDENTICAL to "JOKES" in POSTAL.

WHILE WE WELCOME a GOOD BELLY LAUGH AS HEARTILY AS ANYONE, WE ARE ALSO HERE to WARD OFF MOVIE-GOERS from SPENDING GOOD MONEY to SEE (OR RENT) BAD MOVIES -- AND AMERICAN CAROL IS BERRY BAD INDEED...  

HOPPER: "I was judged RAZZIE®-worthy for my work in WATERWORLD...But your chances to avoid my fate, especially with the similarly bone-headed POSTAL coming out the same year, actually look Berry Good..."

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 6:06am

One of the most basic devices of truly funny comedy is "misdirection," playing with the viewers' expectations and turning them on their heads to get a laugh. Zucker seemed to understand this in the past (the hilarious "Japanese garden" joke in Zucker's TV series "Police Squad" is a perfect example). But in the trailer for "American Carol" there is not even one joke that relies on this device. Instead we get countless "fat" jokes, "Jihad" jokes, "Vestal virgins" jokes -- an endless string of supposedly "funny" moments that, before the set-up has even been on-screen for half-a-second, are clearly NOT funny. How sad that one of America's formerly great satirists has sunk so low.

Please, Mr. Zuker, "bring funny back!" 

Everything SUX!
sportsartist24 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote sportsartist24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 10:02am
Those great days of David Zucker are over now, with bad films like BASEketball (nominated for 2 Razzies), Scary Movie 3, Scary Movie 4 (won 1 Razzie), etc.
The Mormons were'nt really popular in the beginning, they're now becoming more popular, even in Hollywood.
moviewizguy View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 12:11pm
I think this is supposed to poke fun at Michael Moore and conservatism but not a spoof. I have seen the trailer and I'm never interested in films dealing with politics, unless I'm interested in subjects in the film so I can't tell for sure if this will be good or bad.
thomsonmg2000 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote thomsonmg2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 2:23pm
Michael Moore has such great potential for being parodied. Yet, it seems as though Zucker blew a chance to do so. So, instead of making subtle stabs at Moore's hypocrisy or twisting of fact, he makes fun of surface materials like Moore's fatness.

What the hell, Zucker? I hope you aren't trying to go down the path of *gulp* Seltzerberg.
Seltzerberg is back?

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!

http://www.disastermovie.org
http://www.vampiressuck.org/
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 4:47pm
This movie wasn't previewed for critics, and we all know what that means. Based upon the trailers, it is obviously a greater insult to its target audience than it is to Michael Moore and "liberal Hollywood." I find it interesting that the political right has a remarkable tendency to be the first to use the kind of degrading tactics to attack the left that they frequently accuse the left of employing.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
moat View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2008 at 9:38pm
Zucker's political comedy in a nutshell.

Hypothesis: Conservatism (technically neo-conservatism) makes you unfunny.

Fact: When Zucker did Airplane! and the Police Squad products he wasn't conservative.
Further evidence of unfunny.

I bet it has something to do with their policies on doing things right.
Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2008 at 5:21am

Although this film is not being pre-screened for critics, there are more than 2 dozen User Ratings for it already posted at Box Office MoJo -- of the 26 users who've already rated (and presumably seen it) 10 (or 38.5%) gave it an A...and 14 (53.8%) gave it an F. Here's a LINK to check American Carol's on-going rankings at B.O. MoJo. 

Everything SUX!
thomsonmg2000 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote thomsonmg2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2008 at 11:34am
When I first saw that video {Zucker's political comedy in a nutshell.} I thought it looked like a video made by liberals to make fun of conservative's use of fear mongering. My god Zucker is so unsubtle in his "satire"!

Also, just saw the trailer. WTF? Is the "satire" in this movie really going to come in unfunny physical/toilet humor, instead of making fun of Moore for making ridiculous assumption, duping film subjects, and making questionable claims (OK, maybe American Carol will have those jokes, but they would probably be crappily done).
Seltzerberg is back?

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!

http://www.disastermovie.org
http://www.vampiressuck.org/
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2008 at 10:07am
Well...I've heard over the radio that the host loved the movie. Yeah...I don't know, though. He was bashing on Oliver Stone's W so maybe he's a conservatist or something. Basically, he's saying "Go watch American Carol and W will fail!"
SchumacherH8ter View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote SchumacherH8ter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2008 at 12:55pm
"W" might fail because of Oliver Stone's, attention to detail. Also, it's conservative not conservatist.
I'm the Goddamn Batman.-All-Star Batman And Robin #2
https://twitter.com/Scott_DAgostino
Upcoming reviews: http://www.razzies.com/forum/topic7513.html
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 8:05am
Originally posted by SchumacherH8ter

"W" might fail because of Oliver Stone's, attention to detail. Also, it's conservative not conservatist.

Be fair now, they could have been making a George Bush joke there.

As for this movie, Beverly Hills Chihuahua looks like the far more dangerous movie this week. American Carol was hardly even advertised; I'm sure it's bad, but BHC looks to me like the lowest form of kid-pandering scum.
-Iron helps us play-
HeadRAZZBerry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 10:25am

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I actually went with my son to see CHIHUAHUA on a Saturday matinee and, although it was kid-pandering and mindless, it was essentially harmless pap -- an odd cross-breeding of elements from both BABE and THE INCREDIBLE JOURNEY... 

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moviewizguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 11:41am

I would've NEVER expected that from you. I expected something much more...angry, like the ignorant Americans ranting about a kids movie, for Christ's sake, on the Internet. It's sad to see adults bashing kid's movies. 

Originally posted by HeadRAZZBerry

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I actually went with my son to see CHIHUAHUA on a Saturday matinee and, although it was kid-pandering and mindless, it was essentially harmless pap -- an odd cross-breeding of elements from both BABE and THE INCREDIBLE JOURNEY... 

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2008 at 2:53pm

Originally posted by moviewizguy

Well...I've heard over the radio that the host loved the movie. Yeah...I don't know, though. He was bashing on Oliver Stone's W so maybe he's a conservatist or something. Basically, he's saying "Go watch American Carol and W will fail!"

I hate to be the one to break this too you, moviewizguy, but radio talk shows, apart from the small number of stations that are affiliated with Air America are almost 100% dominated by hosts with very conservative political agendas....You know all that stuff you've ever heard about the "liberal media?" That's the biggest bunch of crap since...well, whatever the Republicans told us last week.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2008 at 12:37pm

I expected something like the ignorant Americans ranting about a kids movie, for Christ's sake, on the Internet. It's sad to see adults bashing kid's movies. 

Here's why:

As for this movie, Beverly Hills Chihuahua looks like the far more dangerous movie this week. American Carol was hardly even advertised; I'm sure it's bad, but BHC looks to me like the lowest form of kid-pandering scum. 

People aren't bashing it just because it's a kids' movie, it's because it's pretty much on par with "Baby Geniuses". Basically, take babies, er I mean dogs, have them "talk", and by "talk", I mean just have them say modern slang terms with a dog themed twist to them, and surrounded them with a floppy excuse of a plot that will last for at least 80 minutes of screen time. Then watch as the studio heads laugh their way to the bank as parents everywhere have to sit through this as their childern don't realize the movie is made up of the some pudding that is inside their diapers. Remember, just because it's a hit, doesn't mean it isn't sh*t.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>