Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on NON-NOMINATED 2008 RELEASES w/LYNX! > VALKYRIE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

You had me at "HEIL, HITLER..."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You had me at "HEIL, HITLER..."
    Posted: November 19 2008 at 8:39am

MSNBC has advance word on Tom Cruise's deeply-under-wraps Christmas Turkey VALKYRIE -- And it suggests we were right all along. Referencing "unwanted laughs" at preview showings, and dissing Ol' Tom for his on-again-off-again German accent, the article is exactly the kind of "publicity" no one in The Business wants just weeks before their film opens -- and that Voting RAZZIE® Members look to when planning their pre-Nominating Ballot Holiday movie-going...   

Here's a LINK to read the snickering MSNBC piece yourself...

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 12:55pm
Oh dear lord, this might be the surprise Razzie target that was waiting in the shadows all year. Boll and Seltzerberg are counting their blessing that Tom Cruise is here to save them from being razzed.
Queen_of_Toad View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Queen_of_Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2008 at 6:51pm

This is not exactly the guy who fits that part, is it? Valqueenie in "Valqueerie"...

Photocredits: BerlitzFrench @ imdb.com

Please, forgive my poor English. It's not my native language.
Nasty Man View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nasty Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2008 at 6:02am

History Channel debuts a documentary-cum-puff-piece tied in to "Valkyrie" tonight (Monday, November 24) entitled "Valkyrie: The Plot to Kill Hitler." Accodring to the L.A. Times review, it features lots of footage of Tommy Boy in his Nazi togs.

Here's a LINK to read all about it...

Everything SUX!
#1-Film Freak!! View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote #1-Film Freak!! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2008 at 5:39am

As a history buff myself, I watched the History Channel doc last night, curious as to what it was about this material that attracted Tom Cruise and his newly-bought studio United Artists to make a high-profile, big budget movie based on this subject.

And after seeing the documentary, I still don't have an answer! The plot to kill Hitler not only failed, it resulted in nearly everyone who conspired being hanged or shot by a firing squad -- and it was attempted so close to the end of World War II (June 20 of 1944 -- AFTER D-Day) that even had it succeeded, it wouldn't have had much of an impact on history.

But beyond the source material being arguably uninteresting, the clips they aired of Cruise as "Klaus von Stauffenberg" (I think that was his name) made Tommy Boy llok like a major Worst Actor contender: His costume and hairstyle (including an oversized black deye patch!) call to mind "Fearless Leader" from the old Bullwinklle cartoons, and his complete lack of a German accent left me wondering if this Nazi officer was secretly raised in Nebraska! 

If "Valkyrie" isn't 2008's Biggest Holiday Turkey (and a Razzie front-runner) I for one will be AMAZED!!   

Nobody LUVS movies more than ME!
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2008 at 11:58am

Just as I feared. Just when it seemed that Uwe Boll and Seltzerberg had nowhere to run, and were shoo-ins for "winning" Razzie after Razzie, Tommy Boy may swoop in and steal the spotlight from them. Oh well!!

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
Queen_of_Toad View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Queen_of_Toad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2008 at 11:32pm
The original conspirators thought it was historically important that an attempt against Hitler's life was made by Germans. They knew Germany had lost the war. And they thought they would have more credibility (and a better standing) when negotiating for peach with the allies.
Please, forgive my poor English. It's not my native language.
tomsmo35 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote tomsmo35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2008 at 4:46am

I thought this was coming out in February 2009 -- why the sudden change? 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I heard the folks at UA (which is majority owned by Cruise) wanted to get it into theatres in time for "Award consideration" -- But I'm fairly certain they were thinking of all those other awards, not ours... 

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2008 at 10:39am

Or maybe because Uwe Boll and/or Seltzerberg paid Cruise off to steal their thunder so they can go another year without getting the Razzies they so richly deserve??   

Originally posted by tomsmo35

I thought this was coming out in February 2009 -- why the sudden change? 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: I heard the folks at UA (which is majority owned by Cruise) wanted to get it into theatres in time for "Award consideration" -- But I'm fairly certain they were thinking of all those other awards, not ours...

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2008 at 3:10am

This particular campaign has caught the attention of The LA Times (LINK).  As for me, I don't know what to think of this film, but this is the second case of Razzie judgment based on inaccurate history this year (the other one was The Other Boleyn Girl).  I'm not saying it's bad judgment, I'm just making note of that. 

Guess we'll find out just how bad this is when it comes out (but I bet it's not as bad as Disaster Movie or Postal)... 

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2008 at 6:59am

True, there's no way this will be worse than "Disaster Movie" or "Postal," but the on-going fall of Tommy Boy might be too tempting to resist.

As for the inaccurate history thing, if you're going to do a period movie, at least tell it right, with events and details that actually match up to the era they are telling the story of... 

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2008 at 4:46pm

Well, some of the guys who responded to that aforementioned LA Times article were pretty annoyed.  Their responses were like "Get your head out of the 2005 tabloids and back into the focus of the film itself!"  Some however turned their focus to the director instead, mainly for his work on "The Usual Suspects" (1995).  Some compared this film to Cruise's other films like "Lions for Lambs", "Mission Impossible", "The Last Samurai", and "Minority Report".  Two reviews (Lulubelle and Comrade Rutherford) even contained stereotypes.  I'm just hoping that when the time comes, those Oprah flashbacks you guys keep getting won't affect your voting. 

Some of the people who looked at the results of last year's Razzies were convinced that the news literally swayed your votes towards "I Know Who Killed Me" and not "Licence to Wed" and "Epic Movie".  I find that slightly disturbing.  I'm also concerned that if that's the case for this year's Razzies ("Valkyrie" and not "Disaster Movie" and Postal"), it will really affect your status, and people are gonna look at you and think of you more as corrupt rather than humorous.  I'm really hoping it does not come to that. 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Speaking of people judging movies without having seen them, did you actually see I KNOW WHO KILLED ME?  No one who has experienced that cinematic suicide note would ever argue with our choice to give it a record number of RAZZIES®... 

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2008 at 5:43pm

Again, with the word "corrupt!" I agree that "Disaster Movie" and "Postal" should sweep the Razzies, but using words like "corrupt" is a bit much. Why are we after Tommy Boy? Well, he's starring in a movie that is supposed to be serious, but it's really, really, really hard to take him seriously when he looks like the villain from an old animated TV series. If anything, maybe Cruise will get Worst Actor (I'm hoping for Eddie Murphy or Mike Myers myself), and it will stop there, while Uwe Boll and Seltzerberg may finally get what's coming to them. I understand the Razzies will go after more "mainstream" or "high profile" filmmakers over "small time" ones in order to get more press. But remember, this is all based on votes, and as saturnwatcher said, not every member of the Razzies posts online, so we may not know who is voting for what until the nods come out next year, and the award show itself soon thereafter.

So please take a deep breath, check a thesaurus for a word other than "corrupt," and play the waiting game like everyone else. I've got my fingers crossed the same as you that the people who shouldn't be allowed near a film studio, let alone be given the green light to make a movie, will be among those getting razzed...but let's not point fingers just yet.

Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

Well, some of the guys who responded to that aforementioned LA Times article were pretty annoyed.  Their responses were like "Get your head out of the 2005 tabloids and back into the focus of the film itself!"  Some however turned their focus to the director instead, mainly for his work on "The Usual Suspects" (1995).  Some compared this film to Cruise's other films like "Lions for Lambs", "Mission Impossible", "The Last Samurai", and "Minority Report".  Two reviews (Lulubelle and Comrade Rutherford) even contained stereotypes.  I'm just hoping that when the time comes, those Oprah flashbacks you guys keep getting won't effect your voting.  Some of the people who looked at the results of last year's Razzies were convinced that the news literally swayed your votes towards "I Know Who Killed Me" and not "Licence to Wed" and "Epic Movie".  I find that slightly disturbing.  I'm also concerned that if that's the case for this year's Razzies ("Valkyrie" and not "Disaster Movie" and Postal"), it will really affect your status and people are gonna look at you and think of you more as corrupt rather than humorous.  I'm really hoping it does not come to that.

RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2008 at 12:15pm

I was gonna say "people will think you jumped the shark", but I thought that was a little too harsh.

Head RAZZBerry, the unoriginality in "Epic Movie" and the unfunniness of "Licence to Wed" were enough to cover up the unscariness in "I Know Who Killed Me".  You guys just decided that because Lohan was caught in possession of cocaine that you should give her what Robin Williams and Friedberg and Seltzer should've gotten (not that I blame you for ing Eddie Murphy, I questioned the stereotypes in it). 

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: Our Voting Members' awarding a record 8 RAZZIES to I KNOW WHO KILLED ME was about way more than the film's "unscariness." Beyond having a paucity of actual chills, KILL ME was also an incoherent, incompetent mess of a movie, apparently made moreso by the utterly unprofessional in-and-out-and-in-again rehab rebounds of its star. EPIC MOVIE was stupid, LICENSE TO WED was unworthy of Robin Williams (who was listed on our Nominating Ballot for Worst Actor, by the way) but KILL ME was flat out inexcusable...

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2008 at 4:34pm

Originally posted by MiguelAntilsu

I was gonna say "people will think you jumped the shark", but I thought that was a little too harsh.

The Razzies have given awards in stranger fashions. Like George W. Bush and his staff getting worst acting awards for their apperances in "Fahrenheit 9/11". That was more of an social experiment. I agree that if the Razzies keep giving awards to Stallone, they will be viewed as a one trick pony, the same as they say Stallone is.

The same can be said as to why Uwe Boll has yet to "win" a Worst Director. He lost to "Dirty Love" and "Lady In The Water". Granted, those movies were far from good, but "Alone In The Dark" and "BloodRayne" were totally unwatchable on every level. But he's too well known now, and with his career is going faster down the drain everyday; his time has come to get razzed.

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2008 at 6:25pm

#1-Film Freak: Forgive me for finding your final conclusion there a bit curious. Had the plot to kill Hitler succeeded, Germany might well have successfully sued for peace prior to the significant allied invasion of Germany. In fact, the western allies might have been strongly motivated to prevent the U.S.S.R from continuing west and pushing deeply into Germany. That would have been a signficant confrontation in itself, but one can only wonder what might have resulted in the decades of the 50's, 60's and 70's from a non-partitioned Germany.

Of course, this discussion can be advanced further with the classic time travel question...if you could go back in time and assassinate Hitler prior to his rise of power, would you do it? From where I sit, that might well have even more catastrophic results. As bad as Hitler was, the political tensions that erupted into WWII would have been present with or without Hitler. Had he never come to power, the outbreak of WWII might have only been delayed 5-10 years, allowing for a confrontation between several states that had nuclear weapons at their disposal. That would have been unfortunate, to resort to understatement, for our species.

Originally posted by #1-Film Freak!!

As a history buff myself, I watched the History Channel doc last night, curious as to what it was about this material that attracted Tom Cruise and his newly-bought studio United Artists to make a high-profile, big budget movie based on this subject.

-- and it was attempted so close to the end of World War II (June 20 of 1944 -- AFTER D-Day) that even had it succeeded, it wouldn't have had much of an impact on history.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>