Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on 30th RAZZIES Choices > OLD DOGS
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

You Lie Down with DOGS...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Berry Important MODERATOR
Berry Important MODERATOR

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote HeadRAZZBerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You Lie Down with DOGS...
    Posted: November 21 2009 at 3:14am

CONCOCTED to be ONE of DIZZ-KNEE's BIG "FAMILY MOVIE" HOLIDAY "HITS," OLD DOGS IS YET ANOTHER EXAMPLE of HOLLYWOOD DOWN-PLAYING  ORIGINALITY WHILE ALSO PLAYING DOWN to an AUDIENCE IT ASSUMES IS TOO DIM to NOTICE THIS IS a BLATANT RIP-OFF of the STUDIO's OWN INEXPLICABLE 2007 "HIT" WILD HOGS.

TOP-LINING PROLIFIC RAZZIE® REPEAT OFFENDER JOHN TRAVOLTA (WHO LOOKS ALL BUT OSSIFIED in the PROMOS) and MULTIPLY RAZZIE®-NOMINATED FORMER FUNNYMAN ROBIN WILLIAMS (WHO HASN'T ACTUALLY BEEN FUNNY in ANY MOVIE for ABOUT a DECADE NOW) OLD DOGS RESORTS to SUCH CREAKY OLD "COMIC" DEVICES as MISTAKEN IDENTITIES, CUTE-LOOKING-BUT-VICIOUS PENGUINS and GORILLAS ENAMORED of HUMANS. 

JUST in CASE ANYONE MISSES the OBVIOUS "HOMAGE" to WILD HOGS, OLD DOGS WAS HELMED by THAT FILM's DIRECTOR. AND, PROVIDING the RAZZ-BERRY SAUCE ATOP THIS TURD PIE of a MOVIE, IT CO-STARS MRS. TRAVOLTA (a RAZZIE® "WINNER" HERSELF) KELLY PRESTON.

SURE, DIZZ-KNEE COULDA REAPED a FORTUNE from FOBBING OFF THIS KINDA CRUD on AMERICAN AUDIENCES...BUT WOULD THEY RESPECT THEMSELVES in the MORNING??!? 

IRONIC FOOTNOTE: DIZZ-KNEE COULD ARGUE THAT THIS FILM ISN'T an ERSATZ WILD HOGS, TOO BECAUSE...THAT UN-NECESSARY SEQUEL IS ALREADY "IN DEVELOPMENT"...

TRAVOLTA: "WHAT -- They pay me a lotta money to do 

crap like this. Whaddaya expect me to do, say NO just cuz 

the whole thing sux??"

Ye Olde Head RAZZberry
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2009 at 4:06am
Disney needs to stick to what they do best ... have Pixar make all their movies for them, because their live-action movies (and their hand-drawn animated movies) are just plain sh*t!
"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
MiguelAntilsu View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote MiguelAntilsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2009 at 7:11am

Earlier this year, Robin Williams starred in the critcally acclaimed "World's Greatest Dad,"  and John Travolta starred in the semi-successful remake of "Taking of Pelham 1-2-3."  So I don't see either of these two getting Razzie nominations, though John Travolta's already a likely contedner for Worst Actor of the Decade for the infamous fiasco "Battlefield Earth" (L. Ron Hubbard took a harder hit earlier this week when his so-called 'church' was fined $900K).  Even if Travolta and/or Williams were nominated for Worst Actor or Worst Screen Couple, I'd guess they would lose to somebody esle (though I don't know who at this time).

RESPONSE from Head RAZZberry: While you are correct about the reviews for WORLD'S GREATEST DAD (R.T. LINK) almost no one saw that film (B.O. MoJo LINK). And while Travolta in the remake of PELHAM 123 did okay at the box office (MoJo LINK) it cost way more than it grossed, and only got middling reviews (R.T. LINK).

Either way, critical and movie-goer reaction to other films from RAZZIE® eligible Actors in any given year is often not a factor in their prospects for getting attention from us. A perfect example: Tom Cruise starred in both the Best Picture Oscar® winner (IMDb LINK) and the Worst Picture RAZZIE® "winner" (IMDb LINK) in the same year -- 1988.

saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2009 at 11:55am

I'm going to have to study Scientology in considerably more depth. Evidently, there is some tenant in the faith that states that if you are an actor, after making a few very respectable movies and rising to the top of respectability in Hollywood, you are required to make a series of films that will utterly flush your career.

See: John Travolta, Tom Cruise et al.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Headbanger14 View Drop Down
Berry Important Member
Berry Important Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote Headbanger14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2009 at 4:26pm

Robin Williams also has an upcoming stand up special on HBO called Robin Williams: Weapons of Self-Destruction.

The irony of it kills me.  

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2009 at 2:46am

I think Robin Williams should stick to just doing stand-up specials. He used to star in good, funny movies, but now he seems to accept anything that is put in front of him!

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RoadDogXVIII View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote RoadDogXVIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 5:27am
Wait a minute. There's going to be a sequel to Wild Hogs? Where was I when this was announced?
You think you know, but you have no idea.
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 8:27am

There are rumors that Travolta is considering leaving the Church of Scientology.
The way I've heard Scientology works is that they have their  mythology about aliens and bombs and angry ghosts, but that the practice of Diantetics (using the e-meters and all of the actual practices -- aside from paying a LOT of money) is basically hypnosis. While under hypnosis, members talk about everything that's bothering them, and by doing so, get rid of their emotional problems and "space ghosts" (which I don't think they really believe in). I think they add the element of absurdity so that people will believe that it's actually a religion... 

-Iron helps us play-
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 1:45pm
ALL organized religions are pretty much people getting hypnotized and thinking that will get rid of their problem while they throw a LOT of money way towards their clergy.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2009 at 4:56pm
 I hereby formally announce the formation of the Church of Saturn...naturally, I am the Grand Pubah. You are all cordially invited to join. Just send me all your stuff and I'll tell you how happy you are... Especially since you have divested yourself of all the Earthly possesions that emotionally burdened you by creating a constant feeling of inadequacy over the inability to have even more.
Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2009 at 3:34am

Originally posted by saturnwatcher

I hereby formally announce the formation of the Church of Saturn...naturally, I am the Grand Pubah. You are all cordially invited to join. Just send me all your stuff and I'll tell you how happy you are... Especially since you have divested yourself of all the Earthly possesions that emotionally burdened you by creating a constant feeling of inadequacy over the inability to have even more.

Okay, Grand Pubah, I'll get right on to doing that!

moorlock2003 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote moorlock2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2009 at 5:10pm
Travolta and Williams are well-matched, as they are two of Hollywood's most unattractive actors. The dogs in this film are better looking than them. I knew right away when I saw the ad for this film that it was a "dog". Woof! 
Fred Cooper
thomsonmg2000 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote thomsonmg2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2009 at 3:20am

What happened to Robin Williams? We should really give him a Razzie, just to shove it in his face that he needs to stop starring in crap movies. Oh yea, we should also shove Razzies into Walt Becker's face, so he'll stop making these excruciatingly bad family  "comedies" (I can't even look at the previews for this movie -- almost as bad as those Seltzerberg movies).

http://www.slashfilm.com/2007/04/24/robin-williams-attached- to-another-crappy-movie/

Seltzerberg is back?

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!

http://www.disastermovie.org
http://www.vampiressuck.org/
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2009 at 10:47am
There are simply not enough Razzies to go around, it seems, and to increase the amount would decrease their meaning. I dunno if this movie is really all THAT offensive to the senses, but apparently it's almost as bad as Miss March was supposed to be, so... Yea, just consider that two A-List celebrities, one of whom is supposed to be a comedy legend, couldn't make a movie that was better than 2 guys who write sketch comedy, and have no movie acting experience whatsoever. Come to think of it, I've just convinced myself - Old Dogs deserves a Razzie more than Miss March.
-Iron helps us play-
GTAHater767 View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote GTAHater767 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2010 at 8:48pm

I can't STAND this movie! The reviews were some of the nastiest all autumn, and Robin Williams' and John Travolta's films have failed all decade. Either one of them would be good choices for nomination.

And Disney? Why do they keep exercising their futility with live action?!?!

Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2010 at 6:59am
Originally posted by GTAHater767

And Disney? Why do they keep exercising their futility with live action?!?!
Personally, I would love nothing more than for The Disney Company to go the way of the dodo. Sadly, this will never happen because they have family entertainment by the balls and they refuse to let them go.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>