Official RAZZIE® Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > FORUMS on UP-COMING FILMS & PROJECTS > HILARY DUFF in a BONNIE & CLYDE REMAKE
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

You’ve GOT to be kidding...PLEASE!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You’ve GOT to be kidding...PLEASE!
    Posted: February 28 2009 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by Michaels

Okay, what you're saying is that H-Wood is making this Hilary Duff version of "Bonnie and Clyde" so that we will better appreciate the Faye/Warrn version? You might be onto something there, because that makes no sense whatsoever, so it MUST be Hollywood's logic!

Not necessarily being made strictly to make the original version look better. More like, they make crap like that, so other movies look better. Let's take for example Warner Brothers. If I recall correctly, they distributed The Dark Knight, and Gran Torino, two of my favorite films from last year, but they were also distributors for Speed Racer, and Star Wars: The Clone Wars, which were two of the worst films I saw last year. I appreciate the former more, because I saw the latter. If we didn't have the crappy movies to compare them to, the good movies wouldn't seem nearly as good. This is not to say that they wouldn't still be good by their own merit, but that they seem better by comparison. Similar to how foods you like, taste so much better after eating foods you dislike....

It makes a sort of roundabout sense. And wouldn't it make sense for the studios to occassionally put out one of these stinkers intentionally?  To them, what is a multi-million dollar investment in crap, if it will increase the viewership of their other movies. Starve the public, and then even the most mediocre film will look like an Oscar-contender.

But you're probably right... in the end it probably makes no sense...
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 2:57am

"No one ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public." --H.L. Menken

That quote is sometimes attributed to P.T. Barnum, but Menken is the true author. In any event, I think it is an equally probable answer to the question, "Why does Hollywood continue to pound us with these crappy remakes?" They have such a low opinion of our collective tastes (and unfortunately, they have some justification for the view) that they believe we'll buy anything they sell.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
CriticalFrank View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2009 at 8:48am
Well, Hollywood has some justification of their belief. I mean, most sane people who saw recent crap-fest "Street Fighter: The legend of the overly long title, that overly glorifies the main character, even though there is very little that is actually legendary about it," would agree that it was awful, if not approaching god-awful. In some cases people actually recognize it as a new brand of psychological torture. However, there are people out there that actually ENJOY this wholesale slaughter of cinema.

I take as an example a character that goes by the name of "Fluxboy" on the Rotten Tomatoes site. This individual has been leaving some fairly nasty, and borderline threatening comments on reviews that color the movie in a negative light. And has told the reviewer (in the two comments I have looked at-one of which has since been deleted, and reposted) to kill themselves...

This kind of violent fanboy-ism gives Hollywood Carte Blanche to do just about any horrible crime against the senses that they can conceive. A film like "The Producers" actually is kinda relavent to the topic. In their quest to make a gigantic flop, by purposefully choosing a completely and utterly offensive script, they actually manage to make a major hit. Sure that is do in no small part to the comically bad performance of the man they cast as Hitler, but still kinda relevant to the discussion.

Actually I suppose it is VERY relevent, since the Producers has been remade at least twice that I know of... From the Original to Broadway, and then from Broadway to the Big Screen again.... That kinda makes it a king among remakes, only because at least one of those remakes was very well received.
dEd Grimley View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2009 at 1:40pm
[QUOTE=CriticalFrank]
Although, I have come to acknowledge bad movies as having their place in the world. [QUOTE]

I agree 100% that we need bad movies, or bad anything to appreciate the good. I'm very much a philosophical Taoist. But wouldn't it be great if they still TRIED on the bad movies? It's not quite such a slap in the face then. I might be going out pretty far on a limb when I say that M. Night's latest stuff is really filling the bad movie void. Be fair with the guy for a moment, he's not ripping off other people's ideas, and he's still trying to deliver some sort of twist... There's some sort of thought put into it. He's just not making good movies lately. And that's the way I think the bad movies should be... Bad because they're not well made, not because they're a blatant cash grab.
saturnwatcher View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote saturnwatcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2009 at 1:51pm

dEd, your last post is the best statement to date of why I'm personally very pleased that the Razzie membership voted The Love Guru as Worst Movie over the likes of Disaster Movie.

The late evolutionary biologist Dr. Stephen Jay Gould once did a fascinating lecture differentiating the difference between intentional fraud and bad research as the result of unintentional bias in science. I mention that only because I think there is a similar difference between intentionally bad movies and movies that turn out bad out of incompetance or whatever. Ed Wood Jr. didn't set out to make bad movies. The guy really thought he had talent, which is why his movies are such a hoot to watch. I hope that in the future, we have the wisdom as a group to continue to differentiate between deliberate trash and well intentioned trash. The latter is much more fun and interesting.

Nine times out of ten, in art as in life, there is no truth to be discovered, only an error to be exposed.--H.L. Menken
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2009 at 12:24am

Does that mean I am actually making some sense? Now I'm kinda scared.  :)

You do have a good point about M. Night Shamalamadingdong. He has tried to do things that aren't blatant rip-offs, and for that, one has to give him a bit of credit. I suppose, he might be more like an Ed Wood... He honestly thinks that he is making great movies, he's just damned incompetent.

Originally posted by dEd Grimley

[QUOTE=CriticalFrank]
Although, I have come to acknowledge bad movies as having their place in the world. [QUOTE]

I agree 100% that we need bad movies, or bad anything to appreciate the good. I'm very much a philosophical Taoist. But wouldn't it be great if they still TRIED on the bad movies? It's not quite such a slap in the face then. I might be going out pretty far on a limb when I say that M. Night's latest stuff is really filling the bad movie void. Be fair with the guy for a moment, he's not ripping off other people's ideas, and he's still trying to deliver some sort of twist... There's some sort of thought put into it. He's just not making good movies lately. And that's the way I think the bad movies should be... Bad because they're not well made, not because they're a blatant cash grab.

Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2009 at 1:04am
I understand this logic of we need bad movies to better enjoy good movies, but do we really need the BAAAAAAAD movies; the cheap, rushed, unwatchable, should be straight to DVD only, bottom of the barrell type movies? It boggles the mind that this stuff gets greenlighted while more talented artists are laughed at and have the door slammed in their faces.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2009 at 1:29am
C'mon... You can't tell me that after watching Batman & Robin (Godawful bad), The Dark Knight doesn't just shine like some heavenly beacon. Sure, maybe Hollywood doesn't need to make them as bad as they do, but bad movies are necessary.

I think however, if we raise the bar for what it means to be a "good" movie, someone else is lowering the bar for "bad" movies...
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2009 at 1:57pm
Maybe I wasn't clear about what I was saying. See, I think the Batman and Robins and Disaster Movies have NO merit, while something like... well, I guess I don't know which way to take Love Guru... It had a semi-original plot, but it wasn't really not lazy, either. I still think DM was worse than a lot of the crap we had in my high school video classes. That movie really, really, really made me mad, in case you all haven't picked up on that yet.
Michaels View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote Michaels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2009 at 3:28pm

Thank you, that's my point exactly. When you have a budget of $20 million and the final product looks like something out of a high school AV Club, the studio should kick themselves in the head for backing you in the first place.

Maybe I wasn't clear about what I was saying. See, I think the Batman and Robins and Disaster Movies have NO merit, while something like... well, I guess I don't know which way to take Love Guru... It had a semi-original plot, but it wasn't really not lazy, either. I still think DM was worse than a lot of the crap we had in my high school video classes. That movie really, really, really made me mad, in case you all haven't picked up on that yet.

"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie ... but, no, no. John Hughes did not direct my life." ("Easy A", 2010)
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 2:17am
Kicking yourself in the head hurts. I've almost broken my nose with my own knee before.
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2009 at 10:09am
I just tried to kick myself in the head. Apparently I'm not that flexible. But I can knee myself in the head, and dEd is right, it does hurt.
JoeBacon View Drop Down
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote JoeBacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 7:45am
Well, it can't be any worse than
Bonnie & Clyde vs.
Dracula
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 11:50am
Bonnie and Clyde vs. Dracula is an awesome idea. Except it'd be better if there were ninjas for some reason.
-Iron helps us play-
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote CriticalFrank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 12:52pm

Bonnie and Clyde vs. Dracula is an awesome idea. Except it'd be better if there were ninjas for some reason.

OK... How About Bonnie & Clyde vs Dracula and Ninjas: 3D!

Life's short and hard, like a body-building elf - Bloodhound Gang
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum
RAZZIE® Inner Sanctum

Post Options Post Options   Quote dEd Grimley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2009 at 11:01pm
Either a throwing star, bullet, or bat flying into your face in every scene or your money back!
-Iron helps us play-
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>